Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does a pickguard affect resonance/tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Does a pickguard affect resonance/tone Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm new here and all but seen the discussion about the forum not being as active lately and figured I'd help add to some discussion.

I bought a vintage LS80 from here a few months ago (love it btw), and it is my first les paul style guitar. I originally had removed the pickguard, believing that I enjoyed the aesthetic of a les paul without it more than with it.

Fast forward a few months to last night and I randomly decided to put it back on. This was the first time really playing with the pickguard on and I immediately noticed/felt that the notes were ringing out differently, and in a positive way. It's almost as if the guitar is resonating better? It's hard to describe but it was a positive difference.

This was just some unplugged playing so I'm interested in seeing if I notice any difference in the sound when plugged in. I'm curious if you guys have any thoughts/experience with this type of thing?

Cheers
felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About your pickguard on/off question, sorry I have no idea.
I did remove the pickguard on my LSS, but just because I think a P90s equipped top look better without it.

Anyways , nice of you to give it a 'boost'.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pickguard itself doesn't affect the tone at all on a Les Paul.
What it does affect is the angle of your pick attack.

You're able to get your picking hand fingers down onto the guitar or gripped around the bridge pickup - this allows you to dig into the strings better than with the pickguard on - which kind of gets in the way.
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I'm not expecting a difference in tone when plugged in. After playing the guitar for a few months without the guard and now trying it with, there is a slight but noticeable difference in how the notes resonate/ring out acoustically though.

I'm open to it being placebo but I had no preconceived notion with regards to it having any affect beforehand. It was a simple random decision to screw it back on to see how it looked visually and this was just an immediate observation after playing a few notes.
Mono
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
adoring_fan107
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows that LS80 going? Miss that guitar tbh
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it if the neck pickup rolled off better so I'm thinking about having a local luthier put in a 50's style wiring harness.

Other than that minor gripe it's been great so far, I love it.

I noticed you've sold a couple other guitars/parts. Have you made any cool additions recently?
adoring_fan107
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great to hear! Ive been cutting down my collection to just what i need. I had 5 Tokai ls models from that era and lots of parts so i've decided to move them on.
Heres one ive decided to keep, 1981 Tokai LS 200...

All original parts except for a set of aged OX4's and a 50s harness with genuine sprague black beautys.
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beauty that is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: