1978 EG-500

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jy3

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just picked up this EG-500, and was wondering how to identify where it was manufactured. Also how to determine if it's chambered or not. What's the weight difference?
Here's some pics.
Thanks.

Tap on the guitar with your knuckles on the top near the bridge and a few other spots, if it's hollow there will be a noticeable change in sound. You could also take a pup out and look inside if the tap test doesn't work.

Nice axe, Congrats

brokentoes said:
Tap on the guitar with your knuckles on the top near the bridge and a few other spots, if it's hollow there will be a noticeable change in sound. You could also take a pup out and look inside if the tap test doesn't work.

Nice axe, Congrats

Thanks!

Fujigen were the main Greco factory during the the period that was made, January 1978. They didn't chamber guitars but the cheaper ones were hollow bodies with a plywood top. Just look in the cavities and it'll be obvious if it's a plywood topped one.

LPjunior said:
Fujigen were the main Greco factory during the the period that was made, January 1978. They didn't chamber guitars but the cheaper ones were hollow bodies with a plywood top. Just look in the cavities and it'll be obvious if it's a plywood topped one.

Not sure what I'm looking for. Here's a pic from the control cavity:

I've been so blown away by how well this guitar plays, that I've been playing it exclusively. It blows away my 2000 USA Studio by far,
and it's just another animal compared to my USA Strat's and Tele's.

I did weigh it though, and it's almost 10lbs(9.75lbs).

Happy New Year!!

Looks like a plywood top from the photo, if you look in the pup cavities it should be clearer for to you.

I've a cheap Japanese Yamaha SG copy with a plywood top and it's one of my favourites, sounds good to my ear even though it's plywood topped too.

Untitled.png

LPjunior said:
Looks like a plywood top from the photo, if you look in the pup cavities it should be clearer for to you.

I've a cheap Japanese Yamaha SG copy with a plywood top and it's one of my favourites, sounds good to my ear even though it's plywood topped too.

I pulled the neck pup; it's a plywood top. Still can't believe how well it plays(and sounds great too)!

Were all the EG-500's of this era plywood tops?

Not sure of the dates but think the 77 and 78 EG500's, there are a lot of catalogue scans on the net that should show the specs. In 79 they started the Super Real/Super Powers and the lower end 500's were solid bodies as far as I can tell. They were doing the 380's and 480 bolt ons in that period so the 500's weren' the bootom of their range at the time

LPjunior said:
They were doing the 380's and 480 bolt ons in that period so the 500's weren' the bootom of their range at the time

May be the 380 was bolt on, but not the 450 (plain) and 480 (flamed) which were set neck semi hollow top, as is my '80 EG480

Which years/model EG's or LP copies are the most accurate in terms of build quality and play-ability?

Playability is a bit subjective as so much depends on what weights and neck profile you'll like best. The Super Real era 1979-1982 is generally considered when Greco where at the top of their game. I think the main Japanese manufacturers have always had high standards when it comes to build quality with even the mid range guitars being well built so quality wise do a little homework and you should always be able to get a well made MIJ.

I'm sure the Japanese turned out a load of lower junk guitars also but stick to the main factories and there's so much info out there you should always be abe to get a decently made and playing MIJ for a fraction of a Gibson.

Caught the bug at this point. So I've been scouring the Japanese auctions.

Also wondering what upgrades are worth doing to the EG-500?
Wiring, pup's?

I've already had to replace an intermittently faulty input jack.

Latest posts

Back