New member to my family - Tokai LS186 VF

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmb_jr

Reaction score
A week ago I got my first Tokai - a beautiful LS186 Violin Finish.
It plays great and I am enjoying the sound of the MKII pickups.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0sGgZLKuyRc4t

It came with pretty low action and quite a large neck relief, which I changed to my taste. I also did the 50's wiring mod, but I might change the pots to low friction, vintage taper CTS pots (MojoTone).

After search the forums for more info about the MKII pickups, I thought the bridge pickup would be ~11k, which, for me, did not sound like a hotter pickup. I was pleasantly surprised to see the the bridge reads 8.5k and the neck 7.8k. Not really incline to change the pickups now...

Looking forward to seeing your comments,
Julio

(I'll look for a better way to include the photos in the post later)

Very nice.... I have the same model (back when it was an LS150) and right out of the box, one of the best sounding, playing, and built Les Paul's I've ever owned. Enjoy it!

great guitar !
i have the same in tobbaco burst.
I didn't like the mk2 and changed to hand wound paf reproduction

I also can't get use to the high friction CTS pots... maybe they will be easier to turn with time !

But it's a wonderfull guitar :)

nasdak said:
I also can't get use to the high friction CTS pots... maybe they will be easier to turn with time !

They will, but not by much. You can get low friction CTS pots but replacing them obviously makes your guitar non-original if that matters to you.

A tiny drop of 3-in-1 oil down the shaft (NOT into the pot body) might help a bit too.

Back