Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member, First Post, NGD First Tokai

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gitaro
Plucker


Joined: 08 Nov 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: New Member, First Post, NGD First Tokai Reply with quote

Hi folks. New member here. Wanted to stop in and say hi and hopefully get some info on my "new to me" Tokai BREEZYSOUND. I apologize for not having pics yet. I need to upload some to Flickr.

What I know about it is it's a Tele Model double bound beauty, wine red, maple fretboard. It is stamped 10-5 WRY inside the control cavity. 3 Saddle ashtray bridge is stamped Final Pro Spec, tuners stamped Deluxe.

I'm pretty sure it's a 1985 model since it has the modified fender headstock.

I suppose I don't have to tell you folks, but this is an incredible Tele, in fact even though I've only had a chance to check it out for an hour or so, this is quite certainly one of the, if not the nicest Tele I've even met.

Pics to follow, thanks for any replies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gitaro
Plucker


Joined: 08 Nov 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more info, 2 piece (gorgeous) alder body (or maybe ash?). 1 piece maple neck (not maple fretboard laminated on maple neck) 5 screw single ply white pickguard. 5 digit serial number starts with 201**
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gitaro
Plucker


Joined: 08 Nov 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, have to admit, I'm a little surprised by zero replies. Possibilities are No Breezysound experts on, you don't like noobs, or thread is worthless without pics so no replies until you see the proof maybe?


I got some pics loaded on my work computer so will try to get them on Flickr, but last forum I was on that didn't host it's own images I wasn't able to get the Flickr ones to link for some reason. I'll go try.

Feel free to jump right in in the meantime LOL.


Last edited by gitaro on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gitaro
Plucker


Joined: 08 Nov 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... just as I expected. I've never been able to get flickr images to link correctly. I'll try to see if I can find info in the FAQ section.

If anyone can figure out why my Images don't show up in my post when I use the "Img" tab above, I'd appreciate it but in the meantime you should be able to use the links to my Flickr stream below. Got so excited I forgot to wipe the guitar off before taking the pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/e90fan/38235246262/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/e90fan/38235247852/in/dateposted-public/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Loudmouse
Guitar God


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 169
Location: Portland, Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite solid guitar color. Nice one!

Welcome! I know nothing about flickr so can't help you with photos. (and I'm still pissed at Botophucket for killing the links to a few hundred photos I had posted about).
_________________
I heard they threatened Tokai with a lawsuit, but they never got to Cort?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gitaro
Plucker


Joined: 08 Nov 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loudmouse wrote:
My favorite solid guitar color. Nice one!

Welcome! I know nothing about flickr so can't help you with photos. (and I'm still pissed at Botophucket for killing the links to a few hundred photos I had posted about).


Thanks man, I really love it. I'm thinking of buffing it with some buffing compound to try to take some of the swirl scratches out, and putting on new strings. Otherwise no modifying this baby. It's perfect for me the way it is.

I'm thinking it's a TE-70 but from reading the catalog. The only thing that doesn't match is this has a one piece neck without a laminated maple fretboard, that is the frets are directly in the maple neck, which according to the 84 and 85 catalogs, was only found on the TE-80, but I'm sure like a lot of companies, they mixed things up a little sometimes.

I'm also still hoping to find a resident expert who can tell me what the control cavity code means: 10=5 WRY. If I read correctly the 10=5 might just be for the techs telling them which machine it was cut and routed on.

The WR obviously means wine red, but I have no idea, and haven't been able to find from reading, what the Y stands for.

Appreciate any replies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
felixcatus
Guitar God


Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Posts: 1195
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gitaro wrote:

I'm also still hoping to find a resident expert who can tell me what the control cavity code means: 10=5 WRY. If I read correctly the 10=5 might just be for the techs telling them which machine it was cut and routed on.

The WR obviously means wine red, but I have no idea, and haven't been able to find from reading, what the Y stands for.

Appreciate any replies.


Hi and welcome to the forum.

Numbers on body and/or neck express month and lot number.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gitaro
Plucker


Joined: 08 Nov 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

felixcatus wrote:
gitaro wrote:

I'm also still hoping to find a resident expert who can tell me what the control cavity code means: 10=5 WRY. If I read correctly the 10=5 might just be for the techs telling them which machine it was cut and routed on.

The WR obviously means wine red, but I have no idea, and haven't been able to find from reading, what the Y stands for.

Appreciate any replies.


Hi and welcome to the forum.

Numbers on body and/or neck express month and lot number.


Thanks for the welcome and the info. What I'm really curious about is the Y in the color code, WRY. Any idea?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
felixcatus
Guitar God


Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Posts: 1195
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gitaro wrote:
felixcatus wrote:
gitaro wrote:

I'm also still hoping to find a resident expert who can tell me what the control cavity code means: 10=5 WRY. If I read correctly the 10=5 might just be for the techs telling them which machine it was cut and routed on.

The WR obviously means wine red, but I have no idea, and haven't been able to find from reading, what the Y stands for.

Appreciate any replies.


Hi and welcome to the forum.

Numbers on body and/or neck express month and lot number.


Thanks for the welcome and the info. What I'm really curious about is the Y in the color code, WRY. Any idea?


Nope, sorry I have no idea on the 'Y'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ibicus
Guitar God


Joined: 28 May 2015
Posts: 157
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gitaro and welcome to the forum.
I am sorry but I have no idea at all.Just checked the color codes in tokai catalogues and all I see is WR for wine red but nothing about the misterious Y...
Maybe some specialists like villager or Gabe may know what it means
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
felixcatus
Guitar God


Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Posts: 1195
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Y' (and 'X' 'Z' etc.) indication is been mentioned and/or discussed on this forum before, but there doesn't seem to be a consencus on it's designation.

There seems to be a lot of contradiction, so far (from what I've read on here) nobody seems to know it's designation ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jonwe
Plucker


Joined: 05 Mar 2017
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gitaro - welcome to the forum. There is a list of codes on the forum a few weeks ago in one of the threads but I can't find it right now so keep searching.

The 10=5 type codes appear to relate to the date of manufacture and typically the control cavity code is similar to the code on the end of the neck. If they are dissimilar it's considered an indication that the neck's has been swapped at some point.

Dating info comes from the headstock logo style and the serial number.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
felixcatus
Guitar God


Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Posts: 1195
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonwe wrote:


The 10=5 type codes appear to relate to the date of manufacture and typically the control cavity code is similar to the code on the end of the neck. If they are dissimilar it's considered an indication that the neck's has been swapped at some point.


No it's not , codes don't have to match for a Tokai to be all original.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gitaro
Plucker


Joined: 08 Nov 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the additional information. Thatís interesting that no one is sure what the Y stands for.

Iíll register the guitar to add to the info. I would have already registered but wanted to make sure I put the model number right. Would you all agree itís a TE-70? And 1985 or could it also be 1984?

I suppose I can take the neck off to look for additional markings but have to admit Iím a little reluctant since I donít want to chip the neck pocket. I can post any markings on the pickups and in the pickup cavity as well.

Iíll follow up this week when I get a chance to work on her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group