Is It a ST60 or a ST80?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been a couple of higher end Goldstars on ebay recently to compare this one to. I didn't catch this one in time (muttered curses....):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230229538654&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:GB:1123
If it does actually have a V-neck it's probably a TST-80--duosonic from the forum won this, so if he's reading maybe he can tell us about it!

and then there was John's from the forum:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-Goldstar-TST80-Strat-like-springy-sound_W0QQitemZ120222925784QQihZ002QQcategoryZ112670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
with U pickups, a V-neck and nitro finish--there was a whole other post on this one:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10167

I have a similar Goldstar that I believe is a TST-50 (no sticker)-- GS nitro finish, U-neck and U-stamped pickups. Body is alder, and maple neck. I don't have any photos of mine, but I'll take some and post them soon. It's truly an amazing guitar and as good or better than my higher end Springys.

There was a Springy model listed in the Japan Vintage magazine (page 15 on the right side)

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc152/gothamcitydrugstore/Japan%20Vintage%20vol2%20Springy%20Sound/

that has an ST-80 model body with a U neck--I wonder if this is a similar phenomenon....?
________
VAPORIZER

cheshirecat, the one chingo had listed looks like a 2 piece center seam body & it has E stamped pups BUT it has a pot metal/zinc block

John A's listing states center seam body, has U stamped pups, but is listed as a ST-80

My Goldy has the 2 piece/center seam body, U stamped pups, and a steel block w/Final Prospect saddles

the similarities are not exact, just similar :lol: .....................

I am thinking that my Goldy has a ST-60 or higher spec body but definitely has the U stamped pups, previously stated here as belonging to the ST-50

chingo's guitar was parted together: a 1980 ST80 body, and a later ST50 Goldstar neck...

Hey MIJ,
Does your Goldstar have a nitrocellulose, or polyurathane finish? And duosonic--are you sure that your guitar is parted together? I'm almost certain my Goldstar has a nitro finish, with an incredibly well matched 2 piece body (alder, mind you), but it's got a U shaped neck. Mine looks untampered with. I'm wondering if these 1954 and '58 "vintage models" all had nitro finish?

tokai86_2.jpg

________
Buy Air One Vaporizer

cheshirecatsmile said:
Hey MIJ,
Does your Goldstar have a nitrocellulose, or polyurathane finish?

I'm wondering if these 1954 and '58 "vintage models" all had nitro finish?

I seriously doubt mine is nitro; pretty sure it's poly..........and of course mine is a '64 copy.............

Yeah, I'm positive the chingo Goldie was a parts job... not that I'm complaining! It's a poly TST-50 Goldstar neck, and the body is definitely nitro and did not come with that neck. The neckplate, however, footprints correctly, and it's from 1980, so...

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,
this guitar is an ST-50 YSOR. It's the 'U' that gives it away, in that Goldstar sounds had different pickup letters for ST-50's and ST-60's - Springysounds did not.
It has an obvious Alder body, 1963 radius fingerboard and square string tree, but on an ST-60 Goldstar, the pickups are stamped "V'.

regards
Peter mac
Hi Pete , I just stumbled across this whilst looking for something else.In my somewhat limited experience admittedly, the three GoldstarST 60sI have come across (2 of them owned by me)have had E pickups not V`s.Regards Gabe.

Hi Gabe,
'E' pickups would more likely make it a TST-70 or TST-80. To me the body being alder and not a spectacular grain would point toward the TST-70 (although most TST-70 had 60 slab board and not 64 thin)
TST-80 did tend to use Ash bodies with maple necks and high-grade Alder with rosewood neck.
regards
Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
E' pickups would more likely make it a TST-70 or TST-80. To me the body being alder and not a spectacular grain would point toward the TST-70 (although most TST-70 had 60 slab board and not 64 thin)
Peter Mac

Peter.

How come there is no mention of the ST70 in the most commonly available catalogue in the UK, 1985 Vol 1?

File0238.jpg

Since the only ST70 I can recall seeing on here is owned by a well known long haired Australian rocker (Hi Mick :wink: ), was the ST70 something for the antipodean market?

Also, I have to agree with Gabe. From what I have seen on here, ST60s seem most likely to come with Es, though some have Us. In many cases, the only difference between an ST60 & an ST80 is that the 80 has a V neck & nitro finish.

Mike

I had a black/maple ST60, 60 sticker on the neck, practically mint, and I would looked totaly original, it had E pickups too

Hi Stratman323,

Easy answer - the ST-70 and TST-70 were only made for a handful of years being stopped after 1984.
The giveaway is a laminated maple fingerboard on the maple neck and a more rounder neck - no 'V' profile.
The 1984 page used by chesirecatsmile is page1. The Japanese catalog 1984 Vol 8 lists the TST-70 as a "Special Edition" and came in YS and FO finishes only. It is in fact the guitar that is sitting on the chair in the Page 1 pic that does not have a number assigned to it.
When talking about these models I do prefer to use ST for Springysound and TST for Goldstar as the specs did differ between the years for the same model numbers.
regards
Peter Mac

We have seen there are some exceptions to the rule in Tokais and a "lower" model sometimes have higher specs than it should according catalogs but it?s not ususal. Mike(javelin70) stated he got a LS-50 Love Rock over other guitars because it was a really good guitar.

A big changed when chosen Tokai.

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,
this guitar is an ST-50 YSOR. It's the 'U' that gives it away, in that Goldstar sounds had different pickup letters for ST-50's and ST-60's - Springysounds did not.
It has an obvious Alder body, 1963 radius fingerboard and square string tree, but on an ST-60 Goldstar, the pickups are stamped "V'.

regards
Peter mac

after much searching for info I located this old, dead thread

just purchased a ST-60 Goldstar with a L13*** serial number so, must be very similar to the one from the OP

once it arrives from Japan I will see what type of pickups it has :)

OK cool,
It should have either 'E' or 'V' stamped grey bobbin pickups - most likely 'E'.
Check the body and neck stamps are the same and the neck should have a Rosewood fingerboard to match the L13xxx serial number.

Peter Mac

yeah, the neck has the '60' sticker on the neck heel, round laminated rosewood 'board like a '64 Strat, and the body looks like a 2 piece/center seam from the photos

Peter Mac said:
Check the body and neck stamps are the same
Peter Mac

No need for that. :wink:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21283&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=178818&highlight=#178818

Back