Need some info about my new LS186

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solomon1979

Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether or not the entire guitar is finished in nitro or just the top? I was a member here is 2005 and it's been almost as long since I owned a Tokai. Thanks in advance.

Welcome back ;-)
It's always the entire guitar finished in nitro as far as I know.If you go to youtube for videos where guitars are produced you can see how they are coating the guitar from all sides with the laquer.But I've been told it is not that pure nitro that develops those cracks after a while but a mixture of nitro with poly instead.Some guys here know a lot more about it though.

I've been told before that poly is used as an undercoat, bypassing the first several applications of nitro which are absorbed straight into the wood. The rest of the finish is nitro all over.

Paladin2019 said:
I've been told before that poly is used as an undercoat, bypassing the first several applications of nitro which are absorbed straight into the wood. The rest of the finish is nitro all over.

But shouldn't it then get these cracks over the years ?

ibicus said:
But shouldn't it then get these cracks over the years ?

No, it's only pure nitro that develops the cracks (known as 'finish checking'). I've got a guitar with a nitro/poly finish that's now 15 years old and while the finish is pleasantly 'flawed' along the grain and flame figuring, it hasn't cracked.

Back