What LP Reborn compares to a Standard?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a new member. I became interested in buying a LP style guitars but would rather it be a different brand than Gibson and Tokai, as far as I know, has produced some very well regarded guitars. Their history is also nebulous as well! If I had a nickle for every incorrecly labled "lawsuit" guitar on Craigslist I could retire. So I have done some research and it seems that the 78'-80' LP Reborns as some of the most highly regarded. This is my question; Which model from LS-50 to LS-200 is comparable to a Gibson "standard"? Thanks.

I'd think in those years everything above a 60 is as good, certainly at 100 Tokai's are better than a Gibby standard made back then or now.

Excellent! Thank you very much. The LS 50 and LS 60, are these closer to a Studio? I ask because when trying out LPs everything below a Standard didn't sound or feel very good.

LS 50 and 60 have multi piece backs. I would get a LS80 or above. The only difference I know from LS80 to LS 100 is the pickup and a higher lacquer top. If you are planning on installing new picks it does not matter what you get (ls80 or above). I have heard that up to 1981 they were made the exact same as the 79 models. I have a Burny Tokai made custom 78 similar to LS80/100 and a 81 Ls80.

the only difference between 80 and 100 is the pickups, the difference between a new Gibbo standard and an ls 80 is vast the tokai does not have weight relief holes, or kiln dried new growth wood or poor finishing.. an LS80 is far superior..

Great! Thank you so much! This helps a lot! Finding info on these MIJ guitars has been a real challenge so far.

Latest posts

Back