Advice Needed - Greco EG-800

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teague888

Reaction score
Cross post from another forum, thought you guys might know more specifics here:

Purchased a 1978 Greco EG-800 two weeks ago to be my primary guitar. Last night it slipped out of the strap while I was fiddling around with something else and fell directly on the cable and output jack. Cable is still usable, but the jack pushed into the plate and the connections must also be damaged as there is no output coming from the guitar currently. I had always intended to upgrade the electronics (and potentially pickups), slowly, over time.

I have soldering experience (stereo amp kits) but have never done work to a guitar. I also recently bought a $100 SG copy (Greg Bennett Torino TR-2), some GFS pickups, and a wiring kit to mess around with. Want to teach myself electronics, changing hardware, set-up, etc. Just not sure I'm ready to do work on the Greco yet, want to be more comfortable and confident.

Therefore, thought it might make more sense to have a professional handle the repair on the Greco. I'm also worried about different dimensions since it's from Japan, I have no interest expanding routs or anything of that nature myself.

Questions:

Given all of this, would you recommend taking it into a shop and having everything done in one shot?

Output jack switches and wiring - what is recommended here? Leaning towards 50s wiring. I want high quality components and capacitors, but don't believe in magical fairy dust or custom pots that drive high prices, just one good quality stuff. Should I bother to source this myself or just let the shop handle it?

Pickups - anyone have any information on what might be in the guitar already? I had hoped to spend more time with these to get to know them better before replacing, but if I'm getting all the rest of this done anyway I may not have that luxury. I want big, thick, classic rock overdrive tones with the ability to clean up as well - not interested in humbuckers that sound kinda like single coils (already have a tele for that), definitely don't want modern rock tones either. Would it make most sense to get into hot PAF territory for this? Wolfetone Marshallheads, etc.?

Tuners, bridge, etc. - are the stock components good enough on these guitars? Replace them?

The rest of my rig: EHX Soul Food>BBE Green Screamer>Big Muff>HOF Reverb>Malekko 616>Boss RC-20XL>Tuner>AB165 Blackface Bassman

I know that was long but I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

this guitar by reputation is pretty darn good as stock. I would remove the backplate and take a look inside the cavity, the jack socket is an easy thing to replace and plenty available online (check the hole spacings so you get a match) You may find that the contact tangs on the inside for the jack plug just need bending back in place to make it all work again. the pots etc inside this guitar will be top notch stuff see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl0YdXUxVyI and read http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/need-some-info-on-greco-custom-eg-800.77465/

regards
dave s

I had one and it was a good guitar. Gibson 70s style construction (pancake) and heavy but good sounding with good pickups Maxon made, I liked it.

Latest posts

Back