Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aftermarket Pickups for Jazz Sound

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Basses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pdv
Plucker


Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket Pickups for Jazz Sound Reply with quote

Hi
I just recently purchased a lovely mid 80s Jazz Sound. It plays beautifully. The pickups are good but I have a hunch that a different set might enhance the bass further.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience putting different pickup sets in a Jazz Sound? Were they much of a step up from the originals?

Many thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
margusalviste
Plucker


Joined: 18 Jun 2017
Posts: 3
Location: Tallinn, Estonia, EU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Pickups for Jazz Sound Reply with quote

pdv wrote:
Hi
I just recently purchased a lovely mid 80s Jazz Sound. It plays beautifully. The pickups are good but I have a hunch that a different set might enhance the bass further.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience putting different pickup sets in a Jazz Sound? Were they much of a step up from the originals?

Many thanks


Hey, I have a 83-84 Jazz Sound and I love the sound of it's original pickups. They record super well and they remind me a lot of my former original 60s Fender Jazz Bass sound. The only pickups I would consider to try on my Tokai are Lollars. Or maybe the Lindy Fralins.
_________________
I love vintage Tokai basses!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pdv
Plucker


Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million! Great info. There is a set of Lindy Fralins for sale locally for 100. Would you reckon they are worth it? Would they be much of an upgrade?

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
margusalviste
Plucker


Joined: 18 Jun 2017
Posts: 3
Location: Tallinn, Estonia, EU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdv wrote:
Thanks a million! Great info. There is a set of Lindy Fralins for sale locally for 100. Would you reckon they are worth it? Would they be much of an upgrade?

Thanks!


Fralins are great pickups, no question here. They probably change the sound a bit but both - the original and Fralins are great! Fralins sound pretty Fenderish.
_________________
I love vintage Tokai basses!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pdv
Plucker


Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I'll listen to some samples and see. As you said the stock pickups are great as they are. Might be no need for a change.

Thanks for your help!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
margusalviste
Plucker


Joined: 18 Jun 2017
Posts: 3
Location: Tallinn, Estonia, EU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdv wrote:
Excellent. I'll listen to some samples and see. As you said the stock pickups are great as they are. Might be no need for a change.

Thanks for your help!


Enjoy!
_________________
I love vintage Tokai basses!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Basses All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group