Aftermarket Pickups for Jazz Sound

Discussion Area for all things on the down low.

Moderator: ned

pdv
Plucker

Aftermarket Pickups for Jazz Sound

Post by pdv » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi
I just recently purchased a lovely mid 80s Jazz Sound. It plays beautifully. The pickups are good but I have a hunch that a different set might enhance the bass further.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience putting different pickup sets in a Jazz Sound? Were they much of a step up from the originals?

Many thanks

margusalviste
Plucker

Re: Aftermarket Pickups for Jazz Sound

Post by margusalviste » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:53 pm

pdv wrote:Hi
I just recently purchased a lovely mid 80s Jazz Sound. It plays beautifully. The pickups are good but I have a hunch that a different set might enhance the bass further.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience putting different pickup sets in a Jazz Sound? Were they much of a step up from the originals?

Many thanks
Hey, I have a 83-84 Jazz Sound and I love the sound of it's original pickups. They record super well and they remind me a lot of my former original 60s Fender Jazz Bass sound. The only pickups I would consider to try on my Tokai are Lollars. Or maybe the Lindy Fralins.
I love vintage Tokai basses! :)

pdv
Plucker

Post by pdv » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Thanks a million! Great info. There is a set of Lindy Fralins for sale locally for €100. Would you reckon they are worth it? Would they be much of an upgrade?

Thanks!

margusalviste
Plucker

Post by margusalviste » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:32 pm

pdv wrote:Thanks a million! Great info. There is a set of Lindy Fralins for sale locally for €100. Would you reckon they are worth it? Would they be much of an upgrade?

Thanks!
Fralins are great pickups, no question here. They probably change the sound a bit but both - the original and Fralins are great! Fralins sound pretty Fenderish.

pdv
Plucker

Post by pdv » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Excellent. I'll listen to some samples and see. As you said the stock pickups are great as they are. Might be no need for a change.

Thanks for your help!

margusalviste
Plucker

Post by margusalviste » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:20 pm

pdv wrote:Excellent. I'll listen to some samples and see. As you said the stock pickups are great as they are. Might be no need for a change.

Thanks for your help!
Enjoy! :)