New Love Rock Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemmy loud

Reaction score
I feel sort of bad about hijacking a dormant thread about this previously, so I am posting a review(?) of my new Tokai Love Rock Custom in its own place . . .
I bought this guitar for nostalgia purposes. I had both a real Les Paul Custom and an Ibanez 'Lawsuit" guitar in the mid 70's, so I sort of knew what to expect. I always regretted getting rid if them. Well, the Gibson, anyway. The guitar sent to me from the Reverb dealer is different than the ones that were pictured in the ad, but I think its still OK, the 2 screw TRC making it a higher end model than the 3 screw version, I understand(??). IT is finished very nicely with only a few flaws. Some of the binding is a little bit sketchy about an inch before it meets the neck, and there is weird gap in the headstock inlay. Other than that, it is finished very well. The feel of the neck is exactly as I remember my old Gibson Custom, feels very nice, chunky C-neck with 12" radius plays very well for me. Unfortunately, there is a a serious rattling at the 14th fret that Ill have to contend with. I think the guitar sat with no tension on the neck, and that had an adverse effect. Im letting it sit tensioned for a day or two, then will adjust the rod and bridge. Shouldnt be a big deal. For some reason I cant understand, I just dont like Epi's. I wanted a Custom, just because, so I am pretty happy with this new acquisition. Ive been strictly Fender player for so long, this is quite a pleasant change. Can't wait to play around with it through the amps and stuff . . .
Thanks for reading! :-?
Tok1.jpg

tok2.jpg

tok3.jpg

if that has a 2 screw cover its been changed as the serial is a made in china so should have 3 screw

How much did you pay ?

carl300367 said:
if that has a 2 screw cover its been changed as the serial is a made in china so should have 3 screw

How much did you pay ?

ULC95 comes with 2-screw TRC.

carl300367 said:
https://www.greenwoodsmusic.co.uk/product-page/4551703161

ULC95 is made in japan not china

only japan models come with a 2 screw as standard

how much did you pay for it ? under £300 i hope

Ok,Im looking at a Tokai UK catalogue, and it appears to be a ULC,
not a Traditional. But what do I know . . .
I have no idea than, but the headstock/TRC has clearly not been goofed with.
Im adjusting it right now.
I dont know pounds, but Im pretty sure I spent more than 300. No big deal.
Only money, right?

-----EDIT-------
I just wrote Tokai an email and asked if they will verify authenticity.
Hopefully they will respond.

I love the case. Blue tweed with red plush ?? It is a Made in China 2015 model something. Enjoy !!

What you have is a LC50/60 Traditional Series MIC model...ULC, LC and Traditional Series are the same thing.

LC95/107/122 is a made in Japan Vintage Series model.

I must tell you the LC50/60 Customs are fantastic guitars.

Here's a friend of mine doing a review of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB154LieTag&feature=youtu.be

Diamond said:
What you have is a LC50/60 Traditional Series MIC model...ULC, LC and Traditional Series are the same thing.

LC95/107/122 is a made in Japan Vintage Series model.

I must tell you the LC50/60 Customs are fantastic guitars.

Here's a friend of mine doing a review of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB154LieTag&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for clearing the mystery up. When you look in it, you can
plainly see it is mahogany body, so I figured it was a semi-nice one.
I guess these are going to proliferate now, so hopefully anyone googling
these will find this thread.
The finishing is impeccable for the most part. The only problem I have is,
it plays, or doesn't play as it were, horribly in between the 12-14th frets.
This could be a send-back type issue depending on what the dealer wants
to handle it.
Lesson learned -----> buy local, lols

But, anyway, thanks for taking time to post that very cool vid! I appreciate it!
Serious metal'age!, always good :)

glad you like it :D

my posts were not berating the guitar I was just concerned that you may have been expecting a Japanese model and not got what you expected .

carl300367 said:
glad you like it :D

my posts were not berating the guitar I was just concerned that you may have been expecting a Japanese model and not got what you expected .

All good. I appreciate the input, good or bad. :wink:
Peace!

Drama continues. Tokai just wrote me back and said

they have no Canadian vendors and that guitar should
not be in North America. They asked for pictures, too.
I've never had so much craziness with a purchase of
any type.

Used Tokai's can get into Canada, i have 4 of them (MIJ). I don't know if that one is real, don't know much about the MIC or MIK Tokai's. Canada has a bad history when it comes to Tokais though.

brokentoes said:
I love the case. Blue tweed with red plush ?? It is a Made in China 2015 model something. Enjoy !!
See it there : https://reverb.com/item/3696834-mec-tweed-blue-guitar-case-for-les-paul-jr-and-sg-style-guitars-ships-free-75-with-guitar-purchase

Look at the Canadian dealer, he sales Tokai guitars with 2 screws TRC, chinese serial numbers and prices but these are fakes. Never seen a lefty DC junior, or sea foam color one!
The headstock general shape is weird too

https://reverb.com/fr/shop/music-express-canada?product_type=electric-guitars

dombat said:
Look at the Canadian dealer, he sales Tokai guitars with 2 screws TRC, chinese serial numbers and prices but these are fakes. Never seen a lefty DC junior, or sea foam color one!
The headstock general shape is weird too

https://reverb.com/fr/shop/music-express-canada?product_type=electric-guitars

TOGPS called it in my other thread.
It is indeed a fake. Tokai Japan conformed it.
I hope people who come here through Google, just like I did, see this thread.
Now, have to go start the process of undoing this horror.

Thanks for all of your help!!!
Ill be back when I have a real one.
:oops:

FAKE CANADA MEC TOKAI

That's too bad Lemmy, i'd be callin' all kinds of B.S. to whoever will listen. If you bought it through reverb please let them know about this piece of shi toliet seat.

brokentoes said:
That's too bad Lemmy, i'd be callin' all kinds of B.S. to whoever will listen. If you bought it through reverb please let them know about this piece of shi toliet seat.

Yeah, angry for sure. I'm going to wait till I'm paid back,
then retaliate like a scorned ex girlfriend, lol. Big mistake
f***ing with bitter old guy who's angry at the world to
begin with. :D

Back