What do you do with junk guitars?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to do with a junk guitar

• Pete Townsend it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have a bonfire

• Sell it, even a few quid is worth the hell of ebay

• Leave it on the drive , someone will take it

• Freecycle, gumtree, be generous someone might want it

• Strip for parts and put it out of it's misery down the dump

• Total voters

MSEEKER

Reaction score
Not talking about decent ones like fender, gibsons etc that have some worthwhile resale value but the cheap junk ones we all accumulate thru the years.

I doubt I'm the only one who's far too anal to dump the junk we sometimes get taking a chance on ebay/japan/junk shops etc. Talking about the ones where it's not really worth the hassle fixing them up or dealing with ebay for a few quid when you don't need that cash at the time.

I did do a Pete Townsend on a L Series Korean Orville that had a neck break and some of the finish stripped because it really wasn't work saving in any way. Even though it was junk it took a lot more effort to smash than you'd think.

I've now got around 30 years of junk to dispose of what do most people do with them that doesn't involve too much more hassle than a trip to the dump?

You're certainly not the only one, I've still got my first ever guitar from over 30 years ago too. It's a piece of junk now after being modded so many times and too be fair was a piece of junk when I bought it at the time for £20. I'd be far too embarrassed to sell it to someone. The neck's OK though and always keep thinking one day I'll build a vox phantom style body for it so can't get rid of it just yet.

Got a few others that were bought as projects but never got round to them. They're not worth the bother of selling as I've no need for the £50 quid or so they'd fetch and I'd probably just feel sorry for the person that bought them to be honest. They can just hide away in cupboards for now.

Suppose it really depends how bad they are as they'll always be people who could use them even it it's only to practice refretting on. But at the end of the day if they are junk just smash them up and put them in the trash and get it over and done with. There's a lot to be said for leading a less cluttered life and doubt we all need the amount of guitars we probably have now, I know I certainy don't even though I still look for more every so often.

recently purchased one listed as junk :)

it was covered in filth but it cleaned up nicely

top spec, custom order, gold hardware, Madagascar rosewood fingerboard, nice weight too 8)

I like junk :)

my first guitar (an Edmonds acoustic) was juncked by my mates who were imitating the WHO at the time....... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :x :x :x :x :x :x

villager said:
I hang them in trees in the garden after painting them with Hammerite silvered finish..

Pics please :lol: :lol: :lol:
btw bought hammerite dark grey this morning but not for guitars

who-marquee-club-1967.jpg

Play 'em!!!

Early 1980's Hondo II LP, bolt on neck. First guitar I bought.
https://youtu.be/f97fg3R65tg

Vogue LP, plywood body, bolt on neck.
https://youtu.be/N2MDkaqQQtc

Oscar Schmidt Delta King OE-30 in cherry red.
https://youtu.be/mn-loa_bNRc
I never did get that change right!

Back