Windows 10

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Reaction score
"Microsoft has not gone for the nuclear option with Windows 10 -- forcing the new operating system on consumers and small businesses now running older editions -- but it has tiptoed close to that line. Five months ago, Computerworld laid out the steps Microsoft had taken to distribute Windows 10, but noted that it had not yet moved to the next logical phase: not only downloading and initiating the upgrade, but completing it without any explicit user approval. To recap, Microsoft kicked off the radical distribution strategy in January 2015 when executives announced that Windows 10 would be a free upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 for one year after 10's official release. The Redmond, Wash. company then moved on with a succession of schemes, including letting customers "reserve" a copy of the upgrade; downloading the upgrade bits in the background to those users' machines; and finally, in October 2015, saying it would automatically push the Windows 10 upgrade to all eligible PCs, then initiate the upgrade process. ..."

WTF? They have tried this on me and I was able to block it. I'm happy with 7. What does everyone think of 10 vs. 7?

Don't know about 10 myself so i can't really comment. I have windows 7 and it works well for what i use it for. I have noticed they push hard the OS that are crap. To my mind the last good one before 7 was XP.

I'm using win10 in office, at home and in my studio. Computers works much faster comparing to win 7 (I had win 7 on all of them before), crashes, no issues. But in my studio I waited till Cubase and Wavelab were officially fully supported from Steinberg (Yamaha).
So for me . win10 works just great.

Many says Win 7 is really good. I haven't tried that since I went from Vista on my old laptop, then bought this one that had 8 installed. I wasn't found of 8 with that app-gimmick I never used.

I was sceptic though if it really would be better to do the free upgrade to 10, until I asked my brother and friends who work with various computer systems, servers etc. I was recommended to do it, and has only used it for a short while, but it works fine for me so far.

Someone said it's more like Win 7, with a few differences. I can't tell myself, but i prefer it over 8, that's for sure.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/06/15/windows-upgrade-takes-low-road/aVyanm5XLfYUHs4OaKVVcP/story.html

"Then sometime this spring, Microsoft came up with the tackiest tactic yet. A big message box appeared on millions of computers, announcing they were “scheduled” for a Windows 10 upgrade. Many who saw this box just clicked the “X” in its upper-right corner — the standard way of shutting down Windows programs. But in this case, clicking the “X” amounted to confirmation the user wanted an upgrade. Only if they read the small type in the message would they learn how to actually refuse the upgrade."

cashcow said:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/06/15/windows-upgrade-takes-low-road/aVyanm5XLfYUHs4OaKVVcP/story.html

"Then sometime this spring, Microsoft came up with the tackiest tactic yet. A big message box appeared on millions of computers, announcing they were “scheduled” for a Windows 10 upgrade. Many who saw this box just clicked the “X” in its upper-right corner — the standard way of shutting down Windows programs. But in this case, clicking the “X” amounted to confirmation the user wanted an upgrade. Only if they read the small type in the message would they learn how to actually refuse the upgrade."

The upgrade loaded onto my desktop at home by itself - turned it on one day and bam....Windows 10. Couldn't roll it back to 7. I have heard that eventually, you won't have the option to choose.

I thought you could revert back to 7 if you didn't like 10. I'm keeping 7. It's supported until 2020.

Win 10 makes an image of your system when loading that lasts for 30 days what means you can totally restore your system in those 30 days.After the image will be deleted and you have no way back except for a complete new installation of win7 with the installation cd Marcus.

ibicus said:
Win 10 makes an image of your system when loading that lasts for 30 days what means you can totally restore your system in those 30 days.After the image will be deleted and you have no way back except for a complete new installation of win7 with the installation cd Marcus.

Yeah, I found out about the 30 day thing 40 days after it loaded itself onto my desktop. I'm stuck with it. No sense in reinstalling 7 because after awhile, it won't be supported. Hate 10 though.......

Might go Apple next computer. It's what I started with long ago.

I changed 7 for 10 one year ago and it works very good for me.Fast and not one problem til today.Had to personalize it though.I use Apple for my job and it annoys me hundred times more than Windows :lol:

ibicus said:
I changed 7 for 10 one year ago and it works very good for me.Fast and not one problem til today.Had to personalize it though.I use Apple for my job and it annoys me hundred times more than Windows :lol:

Good to know.

The 10 format is a pain in the *** to use - to find documents, photos, etc. Hate it but probably haven't messed with it enough.

marcusnieman said:
The 10 format is a pain in the *** to use - to find documents, photos, etc. Hate it but probably haven't messed with it enough.

Well I first had to change some things windows comes with.I use chrome as browser and changed the standard programs windows wants me to work with.Deleted lots of apps as well.There are several tutorials how to personalize windows to avoid they spy on you and torture you with their standards you don't want to use.After all it's almost like 7 but faster and without any bugs.

ibicus said:
marcusnieman said:

Well I first had to change some things windows comes with.I use chrome as browser and changed the standard programs windows wants me to work with.Deleted lots of apps as well.There are several tutorials how to personalize windows to avoid they spy on you and torture you with their standards you don't want to use.After all it's almost like 7 but faster and without any bugs.

I'll just need to embrace it, see what it can do, tailor it to my needs - rather being non conformist about it.

Back