1983 Block Logo Springy Sound with 'H' Pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfin

Reaction score
My block logo '83 Springy Sound, maple neck, has 'H' pickups in it.

Does anyone know much about these? I think it is an ST50.

I'm interested to hear opinions on the 'H' pickups, they are low output for sure, but sound really sweet into my Dumble Clone.

I thought I'd ask in case anyone knew about the 'H' pickups and how they compare to the Es and Us etc.

The guitar sounds fantastic with a beautiful sustain to it, it makes me want to look for an ST80 to go with it (if I could hack a V neck profile). What's the concensus on looking out for ones in Japan and bringing one over as against waiting for UK ones to come up? Do people tend to use certain sellers on eBay that they trust or go straight to contacting dealers rather than the eBay route?

Hi mfin,

'H' pickups have blue/black wiring on grey bobbins and were standard on the SilverStar series from 1982 onwards.
They avg around 6.1 ohm, making them slightly hotter than 'E' (5.7) but slightly less than 'U' (6.3) and they have flat A5 pole pieces instead of staggered A2.
Given how well made all Tokai pickups are, it would not make a bad addition to your sonic arsenal.

Peter Mac

I haven't actually been inside it in a good while, it's off being serviced at the moment so I will have a look when I get it back to see the wiring colour, you've got me interested to have a look.

I'm 99% sure they are staggered though, and I've just looked at the only photo I have of it and zooming in it looks like they are.

I'm thinking of putting some Rocketfire Total 60s in it as I love the clean sounds and vintage output (Rocketfire don't seem to state what ohms they are though).

It's a very nice player that's for sure and the neck is beautifully comfortable. I've tried a fair few Strats and so many are really disappointing. I have this one and a 1983 JV '62 that sounds and plays great too. My preference is for maple necks though and the Tokai is the first guitar I go to pick up.

I just replaced the pickups in my 1981 Springy Sound with Lollar - SBFSN Vintage Blackface Pick-Ups, and wow, I can't say enough. Really great 60's Strat sound, and sounds so great in all positions.

Back