80's Burny Super Grade

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnathantaylor

Reaction score
Hey there

I just bought a Burny Super grade from a guy in Japn. He advertised it as an 80's model. I did all the research I could before buying, but I'm still unsure of the year.

It is a light burst, no serial # on headstock or PU cavity, pickups are yellow/brass color with grey wire, and black wired routed across neck cavity. The 'l' of model sits even with the G tuner. It had the bell shaped TR cover, only two screw, with a wider white border around it. I'm happy to email pics.

My guess is 87', would love another opinion!

Thanks

Pics would help, but from what you say it's sounds japanese and 80's. Why do you think 87 ? I think they started to use the 'xmas' tree style truss rod cover in 87. If the hardware is original you can date it from the pot codes, otherwise shots of the routing in the cavities can be used to identify the factory and narrow down the year of manufacture as they used various factories to make them.

Thanks LPJ
I said 87' because I saw pics of one someone who said there's was 87, just before they changed the TR cover to the christmas tree. Here are a few pics, hopefully they can provide some info. I would love to know what pickups are in it.

Looks like they've changed the caps but if those pots are original you can date it by those, not clear enough in the photos to see.

The first line should read something like M500K and the second line 74 K. The first number refers to the year i.e 7 =1987 second number is the month 4=April, month could also be a letter O (october) N (november) or D (December).

VH4's and later VH1's had the grey pickup wires, early VH1's which are the sought after ones had braided cables, nickel baseplates as far as I know. Once you have the year you can look up the specs in the catalogues

Latest posts

Back