Fernandes "stone logo" Les Paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyl

Reaction score
I've got the chance to get a pretty decent trade deal on this one... The shop sells it as a "Fernandes Les Paul Standard '57 Reissue, made in Japan 1971", but as far as I know these ones were only made in 1978 (here it is as FLG-70GT in the 1978 Fernandes catalogue: http://www.fernandes.co.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/1978_vol1.pdf - page 15)...

What I do not know is who the manufacturer is (read contrasting opinions on this online), the specs (can't read Japanese :lol: ), and most importantly how good these are supposed to be.

4024602_1425038843_zpsdtmlkyzg.jpg

4024602_1425038913_zpsvblo6rnn.jpg

4024602_1425038898_zpskeblrkjw.jpg

4024602_1425038906_zpsot8h2caa.jpg

... Any input more than appreciated! :)

I have access to a sunburst one from a friend similar to this.It has some resemblance to Reborns but something different at the same time. It weights a lot it has a denser wood but sounds good and has a great finish. I would borrow it if from him if he would sell it *I guess he does not want at all(.

Thanks luis for the useful feedback! :)

... So, anyone knows who used to build these and/or can read Japanese here? :wink:

johnnyl said:
Thanks luis for the useful feedback! :)

... So, anyone knows who used to build these and/or can read Japanese here? :wink:

From the catalog

Body: top is one piece maple, back is one piece mahogany

Neck: mahogany with rosewood, set-neck

Pick-up: L-101 x 2 (according to 1978 vol-2 catalog, L-101 is floating type humbucking pick-up set up for the FLG-Series. Bobbins are white and black open type)

Control: Volume (352B) x2; Tone (352A) x2

Switch: Fernandes 455 3way

Bobbin: Fernandes 508N

Cheers

Pickups are similar to Tokai Goto ones with a gold back platevon the one I have access....

There were 3 different Burny-Fernandes manufacturers in 1978.

Is there a headstock serial # ?
If yes what is it ?

If the tuners are original, I would think it was Terada made, but would like
to see a control cavity pic or get serial # info to be sure. :wink:

The one I played has the same routing as Tokai used. But neck seems outsourced from another place. so I have a theory Fernandes ensambling the parts somewhere?
Remember FLS similar Silver Stars ,the same guitar (the same guy I know bought a FLS after a conversation we had and he is really glad with the guitar, a truly professional instrument).

Gee, I would love to see pics of that one ... as it's likely an exception for whatever reason. Tokai did outsource in 1980 + 1981 and they may have
done so with Fender models before or beyond those years, but not in 1978.

All 1978 FLG necks I've seen so far have specs consistent with their respective manufacturers.

Sorry, didn't make the trade in the end, so I can't give you any more infos...

Thanks for the interesting discussion though! :wink:

Latest posts

Back