Bass identity help please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WandaTwangette

Reaction score
Hi everyone.......just bought this bass which appears to be a genuine older guitar judging by the general patina and feel of it..the knocks are genuine, not faked relic, and the wood colour is mellow (doesn't show well in pics though, which hopefully are below)
It has a a bad electrical connection at present (but electrics do work), and plays very well overall without amplification.
I'm a bit puzzled about the logo though!....no model indication at all..... I saw one other bass in the "pics" thread that was sort of similar in that it looked like a decal standing proud, but even that had more than just "Tokai"
I bought this from a house clearance where it had been locked up in a gun cabinet would you believe! Overall it is a bit dusty and has the genuine grimy feel of an older guitar ( I currently have many guitars of all ages, and have had many more pass through my hands, so I know that "genuine" look/feel) However, I should stress that before I took any pics, I stupidly wiped across the logo with a licked finger as I tried to decide if the decal was above or below the finish.....it was grimy prior to that, and you can just about see this on the top edge that I missed........I'm sure the decal has been on there for many years, which makes it less likely to be a fake, as anyone faking it years ago would surely have gone the Fender route??
There is no serial number visible anywhere, and I haven't done any dismantling yet (not sure I want to really) so I'm wondering about the age and history of this little beauty.......any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)
60fea073-21de-4f37-8e16-812593a65582_zpsrqdotyp7.jpg

2015-08-11%2014.58.29_zpsrspd7zna.jpg

2015-08-11%2015.00.02_zps0bhcyhyv.jpg

2015-08-11%2015.01.02_zpscquzwibh.jpg
[/i]

2015-08-11%2014.58.42_zpso8x9lhol.jpg

2015-08-11%2014.59.23_zpsgwdhhdbr.jpg

Open her up and lets see what's under the hood. There should be something (codes) to identify it one way or another.

Looks like a fake I am afraid.Tokai PB basses do not have a truss rod cover, as the truss rod is situated at the butt end of the guitar neck. The logo is also larger on a bass.Your logo looks like an aftermarket copy guitar logo.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90 This is what a Tokai PB hard Puncher should look like.

Thanks for your thoughts Bluejeannot........I'm a bit mystified though really.

The grime that was on the decal was definitely old and greasy, not something that can easily be faked, and the whole guitar "feels" old and right to me.......so why would anyone fake a Tokai some years ago, using what is obviously a decent instrument?.....whether it is a fake or not, it is very playable!
I could understand it if it was a cheap knock-off and someone had stuck a decal on it......like you often see with Fender decals on all sorts of things that they shouldn't be on.
I'm going to have to have the pickguard off anyway to sort the bad connection, so I'll have a better idea then and will post more pics....I'll try and do this in the next week or thereabouts, so keep an eye on this thread, as I do value everyone's input :)

Latest posts

Back