Yamaha Super Flighters

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPjunior

Reaction score
Anyone had one of these?

Managed to pick up a SF700 on YJ for 27.5K a while back and hopefully should arrive within a week or so. Always thought the Yamaha stuff is quite overlooked in the MIJ world but the SL1000 I had was a well made and specc'd guitar so thought I'd give some of the other models a go.

donji44miyuki-img450x600-1436705553tubq7t19945.jpg
donji44miyuki-img450x600-1436705554cbwkek19945.jpg

I have a SF1000 that i think is probably the best all around guitar i own out of 30 + guitars.

I was actually looking to pick up the SF1000 but kept missing out on the auctions , they don't come up too often. Missed out on a couple around 40k on YJ cos i hadn't set up sniper bids and missd them.

This went too cheap to pass at around 220 usd so thought it'll give me an idea if the sf1000 is worth getting. Only read good things about the 1000 as the coil tap is meant to work well and ebony board always a bonus in my eyes. Heard the SF700 is easily converted to coil tapped pups with push pots too.

2ci8i9s.jpg

With a quick mod of push/pulls and you have a 1000. Same pups inside the 700.

Here's My SF1000 with its little cousin SC300T. I wish i had more Yammy's.

34e9bmp.jpg

Nice looker, I missed out on a blond one with a case a couple of months ago when I first started looking for them, went for a measley 38.K :(

Did you switch the bridge to an abr or did it come like that? Good to know they drop in cos those Yamaha bridges seem to be quite expensive to replace and reckon it'd be hard to pick up the saddles if they've gone. One of the reasons I was on YJ was to pick up a replacement bridge for a Greco ric copy where the saddles are fucked. Took a while before something suitable and cheap popped up, seen a few Yamaha bridges go thru during that time and they don't go cheap.

The bridge, tailpiece, and nut on mine had all been replaced to brass when i got mine. I had my 40th birthday coming up and wanted to get something different outside my usual guitar world. The tailpiece alone must have weighed close to a pound, brass was all the rage at one time in the 80's and a previous owner modified for that. I've since switched it for a old MIJ tailpiece i had lying around. With the shape of the guitar and the fact that it's 24 frets would make you think that the guitar would neck dive but mine doesn't. It's perfectly balanced and seems to hug you back when you get into a groove. I actually like the sound of the single coil split a tad more than the humbucker tones in this guitar and usually i find single coils split from a humbucker to be lacking. These guitars were made along side the SG's and you can tell the thought, imagination and craftmanship that were put into them. Not a guitar for everyone for sure, and i hope that you bond with yours. Mine weighs in at 9.25 pounds.

Enjoy

Finally turned up, gotta say it'sa real beauty of a guitar looks so much better in real life than the photos and in almost mint condition. Seller also put in new strings which is a nice touch considering how little it went for Feels light too , which is a bonus after playing 10lb LP's. Have to do some better pics when I get time only had a quick play so far as in the middle of decorating when it arrived but so far very impressed.

sf_zpsehecyoyi.gif

That's gorgeous! How is the neck profile? Slim or chunky? Are they generally close to 9lbs?

Back