Post your Tokai bass pics, please!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey :wink:

My new lefty apb 57 with another pickguard ( i think, no serial, just "made in japan")

Fabulous pbass !!

Phil from France

193676tokai.jpg

401607tokai2.jpg

514907tokai3.jpg
[/img]

someone can give me the date with this number ? thanks !

780598tokai4.jpg
[/img]

Here is my contribution! I just started a thread to date the 3 basses, so I am not sure on the age yet. The pbass with the Fender logo is a parts monster with a 70's Fernandes body from the same factory as the Tokai's.

TOKAI 1985-86 AJB79J Jazz Sound, Marked Fretless
Was used for 5 years, was stored away for the last 25 years and was found by me. Polished, Flatwound SS GHS 3050 strings, height set & intonated.
Looks and plays like a new one. Very very nice.
I have a nice 2006 Yamaha fretless and the Tokai plays noticeably better.

https://goo.gl/photos/ZfMeDWeddcVvddpy9
Photos are high res, will zoom a few times

Hi everyone, this is my most recent barn find. Well actually it has been in my own barn (!) for years.
Someone recently mentionned the wonders of the MIJ Pbass copies. I never played that bass that was given to me a long time ago as I did my career so far with high end american and european basses. When a Pbass sound was needed, I'd borrow one. Well not anymore as this 3,8 Kg Tokai just sounds beautiful.

The headstock with Script Logo, Fender shape and small lettering :

Four screws tuners :

Back of the neck with original "80" and "Made in Japan" stickers, L+5 digits serial number and a mysterious handcarved "20".

Close up on the body. So far I haven't seen any pictures of a Black PB80 with a white pickguard. I'm wondering if this 3 (B/W/B) layer pickguard is original, it looks as if it is as old as the bass though.
It has screw holes for the mute and for the finger rest while the body doesn't. Was it standart on these basses ?
I noticed on the 84 catalog that they indeed have holes for the mute but couldn't see if they also had holes for the finger rest.
Does anyone have more info ?

With all the information I gathered on this great forums, I think I am looking at a :

TPB-80VR made in 1984 that is a copy of a Fender 1960 Pbass, and was sold at the time for 80.000 yens.

Am I correct ?

Cheers,
Bo.

marsel vega said:
this way it was installed decal in tjb - 70j 1984
check it out on the following link :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=new_set

The link didn't work for me, is this what you wanted to post?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124476299@N08/26258292222/

z

doudoubass said:
TOKAI spaghetti logo changed approximately in 1983 for this block design.
So you have the same bass model from two different years: a 1983 and a 1984-85 jazz sound! :p
The block logo was used only one year, and they are quite rare compared to the 1984 logo.

Salut, cool de pouvori parler en français, mon anglais est un peu vieillissant, t'as l'air de maitriser un peu les dates fonction de la typo du logo Tokai,
j'ai depuis un an une tokai custom edition, sur un model Jazz Bass et j'ai beeau eplucher le catalogue, je ne retrouve pas le model, ni de quel jazz bass elle est la copie.
peut etre sauras tu m'aider ?
j'ai posté une question sur le forum a ce sujet mais pour l'instant personne n'y a répondu

Fender32 said:
That's a real gem, Mike! Thanks for posting the pics :) . Those block decals seem to be very comparateur assurance chat rare indeed - I don't think that I've seen another one (outside of a Tokai catalogue :wink: ).

I must organise some decent pictures of my OLW TJB45 and post them up here shortly.

Looking forward to seeing what else people have to show us :) ....
Ok, I have found out that the bass in question was made in Japan in 1984 and is a JB50.
Thanks!

Some gorgeous basses here! I've noticed the 80 and up models from the early '80s are very rare indeed. I wouldn't mind a rosewood fingerboard PB80 myself :)

Latest posts

Back