1981 LS50 LoveRock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackberrybilly

Reaction score
I've been introduced to Tokai, and now I'm super interested in buying one. I'm currently looking at a EBay post of a 1981 LS50. The only issue I can see is that there's no visible S/N on the head stock. Just a sticker of the number "50."

Is it possible that the S/N would be stamped and just faded out? I've seen older Reborns with an engraved #.

Here's a link to the photos: http://s745.photobucket.com/user/beerippon/media/tokai%20love%20rock%201981%20gt/IMG_1581gt_zpsb9331414.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

I just want to make sure it is what it claims to be. I've also asked the seller about it, but am having a hard time getting a response.

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Looks like it has the same double hex pole piece pickups as my 1980 LS50 "inky". But I don't see a 2 piece neck heel like mine has.
Maybe it has an impressed serial that can't be seen at those angles in the pictures?

You could ask the seller if it has a "11" 1981 inkie prefix or a 101xxxx Hamamatsu prefix, I guess.
It looks like there could be a neck heel.
1981 inkies would have a rounded lobe Fujigen style control cavity route rather than a Tokai route with 4 flattened lobes.
"imposed press stamp" could mean either to me.
Pickups look like period correct Gotohs rather than Dimarzio Super Distortions.
I haven't seen any vintage GT's that have natural finish backs without reds and/or darker brown dyes used on mahogany portions, which is not to say that a few might not exist. The other possibility is that mahogany portions were refinished at some point.
You can't always be certain, but I get the sense the seller isn't open and transparent or very short on pics and details, so I would ask every question that needs answering and proceed with caution rather than just rush into a BIN situation, where you end up asking a lot of questions after the purchase. That rarely works out well. It looks like it has already listed for several weeks.

The seller's eBay feedback is pretty poor and $175 shipping is a big chunk of the purchase price, if something isn't right.
If you can live with a different mahogany body color, you might be better off buying one from a store in Japan that sells overseas.
They commonly list on digimart.com

As far as I know it's a 1980 LS50 inked serial 0100259. One of the "Greco-ish" ones with the 2 dowels neck tenon. Made at Matsumoto plant?
Double ring Tokai tuners
"PAF Goto" stamped double hex adjust pickups
3 piece solid maple top
Circuit board pots
A few marks but in very good shape.

0808141615-00_zps6515ba1c.jpg
[/img]

0808141615-01_zpsaec5bbeb.jpg

Currently has an old potted Gotoh chrome humbucker and an old cream Dimarzio 3 wire Dual Sound in it. I still have the original pointy TRC and "Goto" pickups and rings.

http://youtu.be/Uv9aeX2JUgo to hear it.

I ended up buying the LS50 mentioned by the OP. I was also pretty wary given that the serial didn't appear to be visible in photos. Under strong direct light it's just visible. It must be an inky. I read it as 1014971 - although I'm not sure of the second and third digits as they've faded so much. Guitar was not terribly well packed for shipping - just wrapped in bubble wrap inside a knackered hard case with the lining ripped out (that case went straight in the trash) and the case wrapped in more bubble - no cardboard carton.

Amazingly, survived shipping to UK intact. Guitar has a few nicks and dents but otherwise pretty good for its age. Have replaced pickups with OX4s (first time trying these - incredible pups) and new wiring. Board was nice wood but in a grotty state. Has now had a clean up and the frets have been polished - there's good life left in them.

2 of the screwheads broke off when removing the pickup rings so luthier had to drill them out and re-plug those - the work is hidden behind the ring. The guitar looks real nice now it's been cleaned up. I'll try to get some photos taken this week and post.

While I like the guitar I won't buy from that seller again. There are just more professional operators out there who do a better job with shipping and comms. (Even though I paid immediately, the guy still hasn't left me feedback).

This is my second LS after getting an LS150 from Nico and Nico in Tokyo in October. THAT is one hell of a guitar. These early 80s Tokai LPs deliver serious bang for the buck, even with cases like this LS50 where you spend a few quid doing them up, you still end up with a killer axe for what is pocket change next to a new Gibson historic.

If the 4th digit is in fact a 4, the number may be out of range for 1978, 1980 abd 81 inkies.
Number ranges for 1978,80 + 81 inkies don't extend into the 4000 ranges from my experience.
If there aren't dowels holding the tenon, perhaps it's a valid 1981 Tokai number that was refinished .. and now less visible ? pics of the number ?

Tried to photo the s/n but it's impossible to capture. Holding the guitar under a strong lamp you have to tilt it some to catch the s/n. Not easy to see and impossible to photo. The pickups were indeed gotoh, not dimarzio sds. Circuit board pots. Headstock angle is correct for a LS50. Don't recall any dowel on the tenon when I replaced pups, though I wasn't looking at the time. Don't think it's a refin as the 50 sticker is still in place.

Anyhow, with new pups, polished frets and a setup the thing screams.

Had a stab at recording with Yamaha THR10 and cubase. Very pleased with the OX4 pickups. These 80s Tokais are so hot. I'll take this over an R7 every time.

http://youtu.be/Ev88kQKRnlg

It's a regular 1981 Hamamatsu serial number, so not an inkie. Also inkies are not hard to read up close, some regular impressed serial numbers are.

Very similar to my current, but other humbuckers and can prompt in this thread that I have for the model? LS60?
DW6j8vL.jpg

Xz9pXf0.jpg

JyfutkD.jpg

0p8jZSJ.jpg

Zt00Z5G.jpg

jacco said:
Yup, LS-60. Nice!
Thank you very much, you helped me.
But over the guitar pretty mocked. I think that will have to change the fingerboard. And plans to replace rosewood ebony. I wonder whether there is sound better? Sorry for my english, I'm from Russia.

jacco said:
What's wrong with the fingerboard?
Grief terribly skallopirovalli. While you can play, but later, when replacing the frets have to change the pad.
Y93VzLz.jpg

d5jQGcA.jpg

Back