OBG ES335 Reissue

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3pupLPC

Reaction score
I've had this now for almost a year so the honeymoon is over. I can confidently say now this is one of the top 3 favorite guitars I have owned. I love the neck profile which is on the heavier side of a '59. I had the shop in Japan put in PIO caps before they sent it out as part of the sale. Fret edge binding which is very rare to find on the OBG 335's, nitro, '57 Classics. I have some Manlius Landmark PAFs that I will put in eventually when I feel like dealing with the headache of a pup swap on a 335. (I've none it once and it was fuuuuuuun... :evil: ). The '57s are fine, and it would just be a just-because-I have-them swap.
One of my most favorite things about it is its obvious acoustic qualities.. and when I run it through a BOSS AC2 into the PA, it is perfect. I don't play acoustic that much, and I am just not that comfortable on true acoustics. But this 335 played acoustically lets me stay in my comfort zone as far as feel, but emulates an A/E perfectly. And then when amped up it does everything well from full tube overdrive scream to pure cleans. Beautiful birdseye maple.
I love it.

If your 335 is like my '88 OBG, it has a 'window' route between the bridge pickup route and the area where the controls are. Otherwise that swap is a tough job - good luck. The guitar is gorgeous!

The neck on my old 1995 Fuji ObG was a bit wider than most of the LPs I have and the Classic 57's sounded great. I probably should have kept it but I ended up keeping the cherry Greco SA-900 with the PU-2s.

scooticus said:
If your 335 is like my '88 OBG, it has a 'window' route between the bridge pickup route and the area where the controls are. Otherwise that swap is a tough job - good luck. The guitar is gorgeous!
Thanks Scoot, I will look ofr that.

wulfman said:
The neck on my old 1995 Fuji ObG was a bit wider than most of the LPs I have and the Classic 57's sounded great. I probably should have kept it but I ended up keeping the cherry Greco SA-900 with the PU-2s.
Same here Harold. The neck is just a hair wider than my LPs.. enough to be immediately noticeable, but nicely so.

Latest posts

Back