1981 TE120

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Derrrr. I was looking for an embossed stamp. :p

And thanks Cliff and Udo!

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,

Felix did you realise your selector switch has been changed.
The original Tokai selector is on Sigmania's TE-120 but yours appears to be a U.S. made variety.

Peter

I didn't knew that. But, I have seen a few more Breezy's with the same type (as mine) of switch.

Some nice grain in that one congrats.

I just bought one last week.

4420741f05a2.jpg

Same as yours I guess..sen ash. Looks like its been refinished and a strat pup in the neck. Haven't got it yet.
listing said there was no extra routing done except the pick guard was cut to fit the pick up.
Have to wait and see.

so jealous

alotta bread but you gota pay for whats good i guess

enjoy you lucky guy

looks in v good condition too :roll:

Sigmania said:
I couldn't resist after getting that 1979 TE80 and playing it. If this guitar sounds as good I may have found my dream guitar. I can't believe how full and resonant the TE80 is.

Sigmania said:
after playing the TE80. What an amazing rage of tones!

Your TE80 has 250K pots,right? You're gonna have to roll back the tone on the bridge pickup with those 1Meg pots.

Yes felixcatus, 250k on the TE80.

I have no idea what the Tokai pickups are. The bridge is marked TE A on the TE80. The neck pickup is unmarked.

Haven't seen the p'ups in the TE120 yet.

Here is a pic from the TE80.

Hi all. I got the guitar today and it's as beautiful as I expected.

The V neck is awesome!

As for the comparison to the TE80 I recently got, it does sound a little different. Assuming it's the 1meg pots.

I noticed at full volume and the tone pot opened up that the neck pickup is brighter than the TE80. If I roll back the volume it gets warmer and the volume does not noticeably decrease. Would that be the pots?

Also the jack cup was changed. At some point there was a 4 hole flush mount jack cup. Anyone know what was stock in 1981?

Thanks all and thanks Cliff for selling her to me! :)

Hi guys,

Now I'm going on memory here . . but Breezys don't have a 4 screw jack, they have a wee 'cup' that inserts into the flattened edge so it stays flush. It is a common practice that should the wood wear away around the cup so it falls out, a Les Paul jack plate was the easiest replacement.

Another tone trick with Teles and some top-end Brezzys was to have 2 capacitors - one on the tone pot as normal but also another between the pickup selector lug and the volume pot. I have seen this done using little orange ceramic drop capacitors.
If you really want to bust some tone may I suggest for the Tone pot a VitaminQ PIO 0.033mfd capacitor. It will give some really different variations to the way your tone brightens and rolls of the lows. Leave the front 0.047 where it is also - it makes for some great varieties
Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back