ID Help. 1983 Black Logo Springy Sound ST??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering how I can identify the specific model that this is.I note from the registry section that it could be one of several.Is there anything on the guitar that would tell me that? The serial number on the neck plate is 13399 if that helps.Thank you

Id love to say I meant block logo,but I was just describing it as I see it.But having had a look at some info,yes,Ill say I meant block! Ill post some photos now,if I can work how to do it. :oops:

Photos in link below (hopefully!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55054016@N08/sets/72157647947692655/

Its maple and serial number is 13399

thanks

ST-50 perhaps? I didn't think black paint was a custom colour.

Pickguard isn't original - Tokai only did black for SS models AFAIK.

Is there something in/on the guitar that would confirm the model?

Suki,forgive my lack of knowledge but you mention colour and pickguard.Is there some definitive source that can confirm these things. Im guessing if the guitar isn't a factory colour,and the pickgaurd isn't original,that wouldn't be a good thing in terms of preserving its originality/desirability etc?. I bought the guitar second hand in 1986,and it was Black/Black then

Ok, sorry about the partial info :)

The model is a Spring Sound 1983. This was the only year they produced block logo variants.

The serial is correct for a maple neck version, and 5 digits suggest an ST50 (ST-60's will have 4 digits), and Rosewood variants will have an L prefix.

I have never seen a Springy with a black pickguard - your guitar is a replica of a 50's model, and they didn't have them in those days :)

An ST-55 (afaik) is an ST-50 with a custom colour, e.g. flamingo red or natural.

I think I can see from the pics that it has split tuners - old kluson-style. if you could provide a pic of the rear of the headstock I can confirm. Otherwise, the guitar will be an ST-40.

If you open it up, an ST-50 will have grey bottomed pickups with "U" stamped on them for this year. It will have a brass control plate

If it's an ST-40, it will have bar magnet pickups and it will be missing the brass plate and will have foil instead.

The neck is definitely '83. If you want to be sure the body matches, take a look at the codes in the body cavity and the neck heel (you need to take the neck off) the numbers XX=XX will (usually) match. If they don't match, the consensus is that the body and neck MAY be from two separate guitars. If they do match, it is 99.9% certain that the body and neck are from the same guitar.

Let's have some pics of the innards and the stamps and we can confirm.

oh, btw, the pickguard you have is an 11 hole 3 ply - the original would have been 8 hole single ply white. You will be able to see the mis-matched holes.

Pic of headstock now added to album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55054016@N08/sets/72157647947692655/

Id be a bit nervous taking the neck off (maybe I shouldn't be) but DIY in my world stands for "destoy it yourself"/Don't involve Yourself! presumably it just bolts straight back on with no consequence?

It may be inappropriate to ask this here (I am new after all) and if it is,thats fine,but any idea on approx value of this.

This is an ST-50.

I would pay up to ?400 max for a vgc one, maybe a little more.

?350 max would be more like it, if my assumption that the pickguard has been replaced and you have some mismatched holes.

Latest posts

Back