NGD - (well it was 2 weeks ago)...Tokai Les Paul Reborn 1979

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakeyhips

Reaction score
Better late than never...

Got this Reborn from Mono a couple of weeks ago, and now having had chance to swwap out the pickups and crank it up at the studio in a full shoot-out with my dream team, and a mate's best guitars, I'm ready to report in! It's right up there with the '81 EGF-1200, a high bar indeed.

Here's some pics of the Reborn and some others here - '78 SA-900 and 2010 PRS Dallas (NAMM) 'Shootout' McCarty. Sorry to include the PRS, but this was requested in a previous thread - and it really has a classic sound, feel and vibe.

I'm really chuffed with new pickups Sonic Monkey '61 PAFs from Joseph Kaye - great guy, great luthier, the real deal. Pickups are open and articulate - just what I wanted. Perfect.

I'm much more of a Strat man, but I wanted to say how beautiful those guitars are. Hope you're enjoying the new one!

Del said:
I'm much more of a Strat man, but I wanted to say how beautiful those guitars are. Hope you're enjoying the new one!

Ha - well then you've given me chance to show off my 'Fatboy' Strat and McGuire Tele (hope you like them reliced!)...

it took a while to sell but I am glad to see it go to a good home and be in very tasty company!
thanks again for the easy transaction John and it was a pleasure talking MIJ with you in the train station car park!

Andy - it's odd how it took so long to sell given its very obvious attractions. I tracked it for quite a few weeks and then cracked! You know how it goes, staring at the pics, asking yourself which of your collection you could bear to part with in raising funds, deciding no, deciding yes, no, yes....etc etc... T'was ever thus.

But it really is a corker! Very happy with it indeed and slightly better (to me) than a LS-120 Reborn Old I had a few years ago. I particularly love the dark board - sumptuous.

Leaves me with two Les Pauls now - I may decide to move the EGF-1200 on now though and try something else again. It's been fun comparing the two though, very much swings and roundabouts, they're both superb instruments - the same, but different.

yeah the board is ridiculously dark
i did touch it up a while ago with some ebony wood dye as the gunk in the pores was lighter than the wood and that bugged me, so don't be too surprised if a little of that comes off when you give it a good oiling and a rub-down (ooh-er!)

its a real old wood les paul that... as much of a '59 as i'd ever want to own.

Back