Dodgy neck angle on love rock TV jnr

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goddardo

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm a Tokai nut of many years and bubbling with exitement to have found this forum.My main question concerns the dodgy neck angle on my 2000 Love rock TV Jnr.
I found the guitar very cheap in a shop.
The action was fairly high, but the bridge was fully down.After some truss rod tweaking, I got it down further. As I like a fairly high action, and thought of using it for slide,it didn't bother me unduly,but when I discovered a new one, I realised how wrong mine was.The P90 was even sunk into the body to give more string clearance,where the new one wasn't.I managed to improve things further by fitting a non staggered stop tailpiece, to reduce height by a couple of mm.Now it's great and sounds superb.The trouble is, I'm now wanting a correct one since seeing it in the shop.
How could Tokai make a goof like this, let alone allow it out of the factory.I don't suppose I'd have any comeback with it being 2nd hand either, or would I ? Anyone else seen one of these ?

First of all, is it a korean or japanese model? I've played many japanese Tokai's and they are very good, I don't think Tokai would ship a guitar that isn't ok. When it comes to korean guitars however there's a difference, I don't think Tokai have their own factory there so they are probably made by Samick or some other korean manufacturer. I don't think the quality control is the same on korean guitars so a bad one might slip through.

Michael

Hi.
Thanks for the reply.I know that it's a Jap model.I checked this out after getting it, as I love these Jnr guitars.The ser no is 0004161.It wasn't till I started experiencing problems with action adjustment, and more importantly, saw one that was right, that I susspected something was slightly out.It only has to be a fraction out as well, cos is all gets magnified at the bridge end.The biggest giveaway was the rebated P90, about 3mm into the body to avoid contact with strings.Dont get me wrong,I've got it to play ok now, but can't help feeling how much nicer a correct one would be.Also, an e mail guitarist mate of mine passed this guitar by on seeing it, for this very reason, unfortunately, I'd bought it before hearing his comments.
I've e mailed the shop where I bought it,as it still might have some sort of warranty on it,so we'll see what happens then.I agree with your comments on Tokai quality etc.I have other Fender types + a Fernandes Super Grade LP Gold top (same factory I think) and they are magnificent.

Thanks Simon.

I wouldn't mind a junior myself, it's a great looking guitar. Strange that a guitar made it through the quality check if it's not 100% ok. I also have a few Tokai's and I'm really satisfied with them. Do you know what the price of a new japanese junior is in UK? I haven't seen them in Sweden.

Michael

Hi.
I picked mine up 2nd hand for just over ?300.
The new one I tried was ?499, although they were ?599 when first released.A great guitar for the money and very close to the original 59 TV I used to have.
I might let mine go fairly cheap, although it plays perfectly now, I think I'd prefer one that's correct.

Thanks Simon.

Latest posts

Back