I just bought an old Hummingbird Acoustic...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colind.cochrane

Reaction score
Greetings. I just came home with a really old, beat up Tokai Hummingbird acoustic guitar. I live in Miyazaki, Japan. The headstock simply says "Hummingbird" and the face plate that should be there is missing. The label inside the sound hole is succinct. It says "Folk Guitar" in the top left corner. Underneath that, in the centre, is a replica of the Hummingbird thing on the head. It is sort of rainbow shaped. Under that is "W-250" and on the bottom left is a serial number, I suspect. It says "21124" I *think*. Either of the ones could easily be sevens, or perhaps nines. The top of the numbers are faded with age. On the right hand side in small print it says Tokai Gakki Co.LTD. I have some pics but I am not sure exactly how to post them. Can anyone help a brother out with some information about this guitar? It has been through the wars, but with new strings, it really sounds wonderful. I have a 1948 Gibson 12 string acoustic, and this thing doesn't have to be shy when you a-b them. Thanks in advance. Colin.

W= Western
250= 25.000 yen
Yhere were a few Hummingbird models but not so many as when in 1975 (or late 1974 maybe) Cat's Eyes were born with a lot of levels.

I would bet it has some laminated wood in the mid range models and lower quality than a mid range Cat's Eye. Ask about specs to the seller-

Hope it helps.

Back