LS60 Reborn Head Stock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluff

Reaction score
Hi
I've just taken delivery of a 1979 LS60 Reborn and have a question for you all.
The face of the head stock (where the Tokai and LP logos are printed) appears to be a very thin piece of plastic which has been glued to the face of the head stock. Tere is a very small gap where the outside edge of this plastic (could be other material I guess?) doesn't quite meet the outside edge of the mahogany (i.e. it's a poor fit on such a quality guitar). You can easilly run your fingernail around the "gap".
Is anyone else familiar with this trait? I assumed the black face was simply painted?
I want to be sure I haven't been sold a pup so any advice gratefully received. Serial number seems correct and there is a "60" on fingerboard as expected. Any other sure fire way to confirm it's a Tokai and not a fake?
Could maybe get a photo if it helps you all.
Many thanks
Fluff.

Interesting. Pic will definately help.

Ian, Hans - any ideas as I've never witnessed this on any of my Reborns.

Fluff, this is ok. Don' be worry. The head stock surface is not painted. It must be a piece of plastic. Rough estimated a half mm thick.
(Don't know the measurement in inches)

Some nice pics more....

.... here the naked body of a Les Paul Reborn, LS80, 1980

and here a view of the deep joint...

Yep, what Tops said (& excellent photo too 8)) ? I was fooled by same thing about a year back. It?s absolutely typical not only on Gibson copies but also on Gibson?s themselves, ie the black facia of headstock is a plastic-like plate glued onto the wooden headstock.

On Reborn?s the plastic that Tokai used often shrinks, so on early guitars it?s not uncommon to see it lifting away from the headstock, exactly as you described.

Far from being a fake or a "pup", it?s probably a good sign & confirms the guitar is genuine (nobody would make a fake fitted like that lol!).

Just to complete the picture ? originally on their 1952-1960 Les Paul?s Gibson used a dyed wooden face-plate apparently made of Holly wood (ie wood from Holly tree, Ilex sp.),?believe the current Historic series also use a wooden facia :-? .

Ian.

Many thanks to all who replied. The pix tell the whole story really.
I can rest easy now!!

regards

Fluff

Latest posts

Back