tokai PC board controls...how are they wired up?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolero

Reaction score
hey, does anyone know how the PC boards under the volume/tone controls are setup?

do they have the '50's wiring, or the '70's wiring that gibson used?

not sure if I should just pull out the board & wire it normally...at least then I could see what was going on & modify it either way

also anyone know the volume/tone pot values tokai used in circa '81?

thx!!

bolero said:
do they have the '50's wiring, or the '70's wiring that gibson used?
If you tell me the difference, I could look it up. :wink:

also anyone know the volume/tone pot values tokai used in circa '81?
500k, at least that's what mine read in the 1981 LS120.

haha!!

ok, fair enough...there are some pics floating around, I'll see what I can dig up.

basically the pots & capactors are wired slightly different.....also the '50's LP's had 500k pots all around, vs. the 300k that often came on later gibsons

http://www.lespaulforum.com/amps/lpwiringcomp.html

here's a good link showing the two

bolero said:
basically the pots & capactors are wired slightly different.....also the '50's LP's had 500k pots all around, vs. the 300k that often came on later gibsons
OK, according to that diagram it's the modern wiring scheme. How should the sound change with a '50 wiring?

I had another japanese les paul copy, came the "new" way; I changed it to the 50's wiring....was easy, just flipped a couple wires around.... but with this circuit board I'm not sure how easy it would be....have to look in there again....but if it is as you say, should be just as easy: switch the contacts on the pots & leave the rest alone.

to my ears, the gtr opened up & had a clearer range ie: I was able to get more varied clean-->crunch tones just using the vol pot. call me nuts but I also thought the pickups sounded better.

thx!

bolero said:
but if it is as you say, should be just as easy: switch the contacts on the pots & leave the rest alone.
I'm afraid it will be more complicated, because you can't simply change the contacts on the pots. You would have to cut through = interrupt the copper lines going from and to the pots and use additional cables to wire it up any other way.

to my ears, the gtr opened up & had a clearer range ie: I was able to get more varied clean-->crunch tones just using the vol pot. call me nuts but I also thought the pickups sounded better.
I'm also using the volume knob a lot because of my non-master volume Fender Bassman head, but I really like how the controls work on my Love Rocks with circuit board, very smooth and even, no sudden jumps etc., also with my Mesa Boogie Mark IIB at home. It might be possible that a '50s wiring would change that behaviour when actually using the knobs, but I'm not sure if it could alter the tone when everything's on 10. Anyhow, it's always a matter of taste, so if you want to try it, go ahead. :)

Back