Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

guitar cables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: guitar cables Reply with quote

i stood on my nice tweed cable a couple of weeks back just as i was standing up, this pulled the inner core off the connection in the jack plug.
i put it to one side and started using an old standard rubbery type cable.
i got around to repairing the tweed cable today and plugged it in, the sound from the amp was totally different, more bassy and dead sounding, so i reconnected the other cable, back to nice crisp lively sounds.
checking the cables with a multimeter, the good sounding cable had a resistance of over 10 megohms between centre and ground, whereas the tweed was only about 28k ohms.
i will check tomorrow to see if it's the cable or the plugs, by taking the cables apart again, bet it's the plugs.
worth checking your own, it makes a hell of a difference.
ampmaker
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That low? 28kOhms would really load your pickups. Are you sure it's not the cable's capacitance that your meter is reading and displaying as a sort-of-resistance?

For sure, old cables - especially long ones - had significant capacitance per metre and this acts as a treble cut. Some people like this.
jonah65
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ampmaker, yea, i wouldn't personally have thought an insulation reading
of 28k would have made so much difference.
the main reason i mentioned it, we all come on here and discuss various
pickups and how bad some sound flat/flabby, when a decent guitar cable could maybe make all the difference.
i can imagine 1000's of bedroom guitarists around the world not realising how much better their gear would sound just with a better cable.
go on everyone check your cables out.
TalboA150
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klotz La Grange and switchcraft plugs. Soldering iron and ready to rock....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: