Bridge post diameter on EG59-70?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davejm

Reaction score
Hi all,
Finally decided to replace the bridge on my 1989 EG59- 70: so - I've always understood that non-Gibson, 'import' LP posts were metric so I ordered a Faber ABRM metric bridge, post diameter being listed as 4.2mm.
But it's notably loose on the posts (compared to the snug fit of the existing bridge) and the only (non Nashville) Faber alternative with the same stud spacing is the 3.65mm post ABRH version, which is designated *only* to replace old (ABR-1, 6-32) Gibson bridges...

So I'm wondering if there's any point sending it back to exchange it for an ABRH if the looseness is just the way it is with the metric version.

I imagine a few people will have bought a replacement Faber bridge for their Greco LP - any thoughts, guys?

I haven't used a Faber bridge, but stock Greco MIJ EG bridge studs are somewhere between 3.6 and 3.75 mm in diameter on my earlier EG.
I would think the smaller Faber bridge hole size would be very close to what you need and you could always ream/drill out a few thousanths of an inch with a drill bit or round jewelers file if bridge post holes are slightly too small, as long as hole spacing is correct.

I have never had any problems with fitting the metric Faber bridges on my Grecos, all of them are early 80s Greco and have the locking variety Faber bridge.

Hi Jacco,
I was surprised the bridge holes proved to be too big - the Faber site suggests this is the required non Gibson, 'import' type ABR and similarly specifies the smaller diameter holed ABR to be only for Gibsons.
As it is, as Reborn Old suggests, and from the looseness of the metric bridge, it looks like Faber's ('Gibson') 3.65mm diameter holed ABR will be the correct or closer fit.
This EG59 of mine is a '89 and the only Greco I've ever owned, although I have a '83 RLG-50 Burny and this metric bridge has exactly the same 'misfit' on the Burny's posts as with the Greco.
I live and learn.

Maybe Gottfried did send you a locking bridge (without the screws) by mistake, for these have wider holes.

Latest posts

Back