The Phantoms New Ride

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not a bad option
I think the Phantom should create his own Phantom headstock
oooooohahahahahahahahahaaha

Phantom said:

Wow. Just did a double take when opening this thread. Thought it was my old LP - also a replica. Almost the same shot angle, very similar figuring, and colouring, etc...

4dfj3Cdy.jpg

Mine was made quite a few years ago.​

Can't speak for Phantom, but mine says what it shouldn't say on it. Which earned the builder the famed "cease and desist" letter from Gibson.

I know that a few under-the-radar UK builders still do the G logo/etc if asked.

Why are people so interested in the headstock? lol
My first question would be how does it sound!

How does yours sound ampmaker?

If its not in the picture
then you already know what it is
so don't waste your time on that
look at the beautiful piece of wood :)

Phantom said:
Why are people so interested in the headstock? lol
My first question would be how does it sound!

How does yours sound ampmaker?

:) Fantastic, and that's without expensive pickups in it (yet!). I still have it although I don't play it so often now. The main reason for that is the fat 58-59 style neck (it wasn't made to my own order, I bought it used, brokered by the builder).

If I ever scratched up the money to buy a real Burst, it would be a '60 thinner-necked version to suit my hands better.

The beauty of getting a builder to make one for you is you get your perfect neck profile - what did you specify?

Funny at first I wanted the 60's slim neck, but was convinced otherwise. Its more between a 59 and a 60 and I really like it now. I find the fatter the neck affects tone too.

Sad it isnt being played much.
Curious to what yours weighs?
Ever thought of selling?
And do you know if it was a hard maple or soft maple top.

Phantom

Phantom said:
Funny at first I wanted the 60's slim neck, but was convinced otherwise. Its more between a 59 and a 60 and I really like it now. I find the fatter the neck affects tone too.

Sad it isnt being played much.
Curious to what yours weighs?
Ever thought of selling?
And do you know if it was a hard maple or soft maple top.

Phantom

It weighs in at 4.1kg, which is almost exactly 9 pounds. From his Website: "Eastern hard maple for the tops."

I did try to sell it a while ago (for LP Standard tones, I have an LS-320 which I tend to leave out more often and which is probably 95% of the tone and feel). But I've never marketed it properly. I'm about to order some "Over The Pond Guy" pickups to replace the SD(?) ones in it.

Cool I have many experience with pickups but not Over The Pond, would like to know your opinions.

Also SD pickups are supposed to be fabulous? What happened?

Well, I think of SDs as solid, affordable, pickups - without being super special. And I've had many SD pickups that I've liked, and I've just sent a pair of Antiquities taken out of a Johan Gustavsson to be put into another guitar (that had cheap humbuckers in it). I prefer Florance Voodoos to SDs, though.

I also have a few PAFs (two in a 335 and one zebra that's ... well ... long story about that one). So I have some points of reference. The 'Over the pond guy' pickup plan may not come to much if he really has quit making them.

cashcow said:
Bartlett?

http://www.bartlettwoodworking.com/body.html

Not mine (which is a Max).

ampmaker said:
Well, I think of SDs as solid, affordable, pickups - without being super special. And I've had many SD pickups that I've liked, and I've just sent a pair of Antiquities taken out of a Johan Gustavsson to be put into another guitar (that had cheap humbuckers in it). I prefer Florance Voodoos to SDs, though.

I also have a few PAFs (two in a 335 and one zebra that's ... well ... long story about that one). So I have some points of reference. The 'Over the pond guy' pickup plan may not come to much if he really has quit making them.

cashcow said:
Bartlett?

http://www.bartlettwoodworking.com/body.html

If you like the Florance Voodoos you should really rey Some RD Pickups P1's, the Florances were my favourites until I tried them. Really open sounding, sound great clean as well as dirty and UK made too! :)

Not mine (which is a Max).

Back