Goldstar help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jonah, As you say it's a lovely guitar - definitely a keeper. For me, collecting them is to make sure they are loved and played.

can't argue with that, i hope you love the '40' just as much.
how about a complete group photo of your st's.

Will definitely get round to that - if I can find room to set them up and a wide enough lens angle! Just in the process of dismantling and fret dressing them (those that need it)all one by one while taking detailed pics. I've just posted a set of pics of a lovely met blue Goldstar today. Should have some pics of a Candy Apple Red Golstar next.

Hi Gabe,
that is a good point about the 6 digits after 1989 and holds merit but my expertise is the 1977 - 1986 Tokai.
In my experience a 1984 Strat would have a 6 digit number if :
* It was an ST-70 or ST-40
* It was a Custom Edition
* It had its neckplate changed
IMO it should have an L***** serial number as it looks more like an ST-50, but 2 lousy photos are not enough to be accurate.

regards Peter Mac

Hi Peter,

Thanks for this - sounds possible too. I think that whatever the case, it seems that the body and neck must be from an ST-50 or higher. The numbers match and there are Kluson style machines in place. I have taken the machines off, and there appears to be no evidence of the holes for different machines as you would see on and ST-40.

Suki

Peter Mac said:
Hi Gabe,

IMO it should have an L***** serial number as it looks more like an ST-50, but 2 lousy photos are not enough to be accurate.

regards Peter Mac

Hi Peter, my early 1987 Goldstar ST50 (correct headstock) is a non L - six digit code 2xxxxx.
As I have owned this one since new - thus vouch its authenticity - it's possible that they had changed serial number approach a little earlier than 1989?

Back