Mint '83 Springy in Flamingo

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suki

Reaction score
Hi,

To all of those asking for some pictures of the collection, here is my mint '83 springy. This guitar has simply not been played. the only signs of play are some barely visible scratch plate marks!

http://s1356.beta.photobucket.com/user/sb-1969/library/Flamingo%2083%20Springy

I'm assuming this is an ST50?

Suki

Hey Suki fantastic photos, great to see a block logo springy. Did you get a Tokai case with it? It is amazing how the FO varies from red to orange in various photos. Check some out at the free link to my Tokai strat book below. There is a fiesta red Tokai colour but I can't recall the code off hand. It would be great to get a photo of the two colours together to see the difference. Thanks for sharing!

Iain

Hi Ian,

I'm guessing there's a lot of variation with colour just from the camera white balance. In real life, the colour is much less red.

It also seems that this guitar must have spend much of its life in a case (sadly, it didn't come with one) because it appears so mint - I have never seen such an immaculate bridge and dust/corrosion eventually settle in otherwise. This might have also affected the colour, although there is still quite a difference in colour under the scratch plate.

This is the only block logo springy I've seen, and it's further evidence to the fact that the name was changed from Springy to Goldstar some time during the '83 block period.

I'll be posting pics of a few more guitars in the coming days when I get a chance to take them apart, so keep a look out!

It's great to share as much info as possible as it all helps to put together a more complete history of these great guitars.

Hi Guys,

I think Fiesta Red is FO.
Let me explain, Fiesta Red, Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue are colours reigstered to DuPont, USA originally used in the motor trade.
In the early 60's, Leo Fender, looking pizazz his stable, made DuPont colours and option so Dudes could match them to their cars.
Unfortunately, Tokai is not a USA Company and created very similar colours but could only use none DuPont names - with the exception of the AST American models.
regards
Peter Mac

Hey Peter,

Yes, Fiesta Red is the same as FO and is one of the colours that shows the most variation, not due to the colour base coat itself, but the nitrocellulose lacquer which yellows with age. This has a more profound affect on the hue of reds than the other popular colours like black and sunburst.

Sorry for being a pedant, but Candy apple red was not originally a DuPont colour. Leo chose DuPont automotive colours because of their availability rather than to match with cars. Candy Apple was released in '63, and was the first custom paint Leo used that wasn't DuPont - it was made by House of Kolor. The paint code was K-11 formulated by Jon Kosmoski.

Just another note on CAR, the base coat was changed from silver to gold in around '66 which gave a more brownish hue.

Suki

Suki said:
I'm guessing there's a lot of variation with colour just from the camera white balance. In real life, the colour is much less red.

This is the only block logo springy I've seen, and it's further evidence to the fact that the name was changed from Springy to Goldstar some time during the '83 block period.

I also have a block logo Springy, bought new in 83. On the colour, mine looks like yours in some shots, but in person, it's like Fender's Dakota Red, being a blood red shade (no orange or pink hue at all). But I don't think Tokai ever offered that colour, so I'm confused. I'll try to remind myself what paint code is in the cavity...

Back