LS-150 BF (2009)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrroland

Reaction score
New to this forum. Looks great!

Just returned from Japan where i bought my first Tokai. Heard a lot of these guitars and figured while i was in Japan i may as well get one. Searched www.digimart.net and eventually found a second hand LS-150. Now, i am certain the model is legit as i also got the warranty card from Tokai that matches the serial number on the headstock but i still have one or two questions.

1 - Is the top maple or veneer?
2 - Are the specs of this LS-150 the same as the current LS-160? The changes in model numbers are driving me mad :)

Serial number is: 0921760

Guitar is in good nick. When i bought the plastic was still over the pick ups LOL. It souns great and it looks absolutely gorgeous. If needed i post some pictures (have not figured that one out)

Pictures obtained from www.digimart.net

DS01892002.jpg

DS01892002_1.jpg

DS01892002_2.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Figured as much from what i been reading.
Also pretty sure that it can be compared to a 160. It has got all the right signs (one piece back, brass sadles, nitro...)

Had a chance today to plug it into my own gear. Previously only heard it through an marshall amp in the shop.

wow :lol:

That is one sweet guitar. It plays and sounds great. Sustain and full fat sound. Also the weight is not to bad, close to 4kg i would guess.

I have been a proud owner of a ValleyArt custom pro for more than 20 years. I like that guitar so much i never really looked at other guitars. right now i feel my beloved ValleyArt may gather dust for a while :)

Happy bunny right now

mrroland said:
Thanks for the reply. Figured as much from what i been reading.
Also pretty sure that it can be compared to a 160. It has got all the right signs (one piece back, brass sadles, nitro...)

It actually is an LS-160, just one that retailed in 2009 when the price was 150,000 instead of 160,000 Yen.

Definitely 100% has a solid maple top, no veneer. However the finish will be nitro top coat only, there will be poly sealer underneath
(not sure about the colour coats but I expect they are poly too or the benefits of using poly would be greatly reduced).
That's really the only cost saving aspect on these LS-160s, and since there's no real affect on the sound of it, there's no issue.

So it will still go a bit yellow in time, you'll notice it first on the binding. Seems to take a couple of years to get started (may be evident already with yours),
depending on whether you leave it out on a stand or closed up in the case.

Very very nice LP - my favourite colour! :D

Thanks for clearing that one up. I am particularly impressed with the fingerboard. Is such colour scheme and inlays quality normal for a Tokai?

WP_000051.jpg

Yes. The board is normal. I have an LS150 too. The inlays are an upgrade from those found in the lower priced models which are pretty bland looking. Not that the difference is that great.

I've used mine for a lot of gigs now and prefer it to all my other guitars - including two Gibsons. Les Pauls just don't get a whole lot better.

mrroland said:
I am particularly impressed with the fingerboard. Is such colour scheme and inlays quality normal for a Tokai?

I definitely like the orangish fretboard color with tight contrasting bands of dark grain on yours over the two rather plain rosewood examples I had.

Yours definitely has one of the nicer burst plain tops I've seen too. Congrats !

Latest posts

Back