1976 Fresher Straighter Protean Series Strat Japanese Copy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Udonitron

Reaction score
This arrived the other day along with my Tokai Reborn. Just thought I would toss some pics up for people to view, discuss, and reference. It sounds so **** good and it was hardly ever played! Pretty sure they are Gotoh tuners (stay in tune forever even with new strings), nice original bone nut, & a gorgeous fretboard as well.

Some Fresher info:

Fresher started during the early to mid 70's to directly complete with Greco, Fernandes, and Tokai. Their name never reached the status that the other 3 big companies did and by the mid 80's they were finished. The Fresher story begins back in 1973 when Fresher guitars were introduced by the Kyowa Company, Ltd., of Nagoya. Nagoya, you'll recall, is one of the principal guitar-making regions in Japan. Kyowa was primarily a trading company, importing products and developing some musical instruments. The company is still in operation, importing Charvel/Jackson, Takamine and Dean Markley products, among others.

Fresher guitars were built by the Matsumoto Musical Instrument Manufacturers' Association, a consortium of suppliers in the Matsumoto region. This organization, by the way, did not include either Fujigen Gakki or Matsumoku, the area's more famous manufacturers (Tokai, Burny, Greco etc). They really are amazing guitars and I have a Fresher Les Paul copy coming to me next week. It looks similar to an LS-80 Tokai but it looks to have a rock flame maple neck (?) and 1 piece mahogany back, should be cool to see it up close.

img1579yx.jpg

img1549v.jpg

img1584t.jpg

img1580i.jpg

img1548i.jpg

img1586q.jpg

img1583n.jpg

img1585.jpg

Does anyone know what radius the old Fresher's had?
And is the neck chunky or thin?

Latest posts

Back