Some more curiosity...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klabuster

Reaction score
Hello again!

This is Alex from Berlin, Germany. I got a white LC60 with this "H" formed headstock inlay I postet a while ago.
As I recently wanted my PU?s to be changed and some stuff to be adjusted, I went to a luthier and asked him by the way what kind of woods were used on this guitar, as it?s very lightweight compared to other LP Customs. Just to mention, this luthier is one of the best guys in Germany. He builds the (at least locally) famous LuK guitars and does all the guitar jobs for guys like John Frusciante when they tour through Germany. He did a probe into one of the humbucker cavities and this is what he found out:
The body is made of one-piece ALDER!
So this is what I know about this guitar now:

Alpine white Tokai LC60 with the serial number 9102621, original headstock with Arrow-TRC and "H" inlay, one-piece mahogany neck and one-piece alder body (no top!!) and originally Tokai Humbuckers.

So, WTF is this?! Except a wonderful leightweight, very punchy guitar?

yours
::alex

Checking through the mid / late 90s catalogs I see that the LP Custom replicas are listed as being made of 'plywood' for the cheap ones and basswood for the more expensive ones. They only returned to proper mahogany construction in 2000. As I understand it basswood is very similar to alder, so could your guitar be one of these? Or maybe they ran out of basswood and used some alder for yours, as they're so similar?

Yeah, might be, but this guitar seems to be older, from the beginning of the 90?s, as first the serial # points to that and second it turned from white to darker "creamy" color, which wouldnt happen for 3-4 years, I guess.

alex

The early 90s guitars could have had the same construction - we just don't have the catalogs to prove it - so it still could fit. Just guessing of course :smile:

Hi Alex and James,
I've been scratching my head for months about this guitar....
The serial number points to '91, but the "Super 400" inlay would have had Gibson heading for the lawyers office - and now the body is alder instead of mahogany. WOW.
If the body had been made of basswood or ply, it would not have been a 60,000yen guitar, probably more a 50 or 40 model.
I put forward the THEORY that it may have been custom made for someone in Japan who later sold it to a person who sold it to.....

With the colour turning, it does go quick from white to creme, my Gibson LPC took less than 6 months to change colour.

Regardless, the guitar is a f#%*ing gem.
Congratulations.
Peter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Mac on 2002-03-29 01:13 ]</font>

Back