marshall amp?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_j22

Reaction score
hey, ive been looking to purchase a marshall amp for a few weeks now but with so much variations in price and quality i need a little help. i got a sweet toaki ls80f, sounds great, and in my firends marshall amps it sounds amazing. i suppose the branding has something to do with why i want one as well:).

anyways im lookiong for pretty loud amp, one that can fill a large room at gig(in only in a school band with some mates) and i need some suggestions. i have about 150? and on ebay they seem to be around that or even cheaper.

can anyone give me any info on what i may be looking for and some example on ebay-they all look similar and i dont know much about amps.

cheers

ben

benny_j22 said:
anyways im lookiong for pretty loud amp, one that can fill a large room at gig(in only in a school band with some mates) and i need some suggestions. i have about 150? and on ebay they seem to be around that or even cheaper.
Marshall has grown into a quite large line of different amps, so you should specify which Marshall you've seen for such a low price. My guess is it's not a tube amp, right? Combo or head amp (without speaker cabinet)?

can anyone give me any info on what i may be looking for and some example on ebay-they all look similar and i dont know much about amps.
The "certified" Marshall sound comes from a 50 or 100 watt tube head amp with a 4x12" speaker cabinet. The problem with that is that it costs more than your budget and most of the time it's way too loud, even in large school auditoriums. Probably there's some sort of PA system anyhow where you would put a microphone in front of a small combo amp (head and speakers in one enclosure), so the guitar volume with this setup is not a problem at all.

Go for a 18 watt clone.It has Marshall tone at enough volume for clubs.18 watt tube is enough for me.I have a JTM-45 reissue and it is way too much at this time.And you need to put volume for acvhiving a good Marshall tone.

With only about ?150 to spend, you may not get the sound you're after. You don't say what amp your friend has that makes your guitar sound good, that'd be a start.

Marshall produce a multitude of amps to suit all pockets, there's the solid state "MG" range, where you should be able to get something "band worthy", then there's the Valvestate range, which have a valve in the pre-amp to warm things up a bit, and a solid state output stage. These amps have been around for sometime now, and you may well be able to pick up a good one 2nd hand from either your local guitar shop, the local paper, or even the local free ad's paper (like LOOT etc).

The only pure valve amp that you could really get with your budget is the Laney LC15, which is a 15watt Class A valve amp & 10" speaker. It's small, light, and even though it's only a "measly" 15watts, I bet it'll be heard! Plus it's small enough to be used at home.

It also depends upon what sort of music you play, if you are after a brutal distortion sound, then a larger 2nd hand Marshall Valvestate may well be the ticket. If you're after a sweeter, cleaner sound, the Laney may be a good investment.

I agree with Laney.And you got a master volume and reverb.As far as Laney is a UK company you can get better prince than us.Check for an used one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=7334432259&rd=1
this the type of amp i was talking about that ebay have. is that a good amp, particularly for school gigs (auditoriums)?

What I would recommend you to do, is go to your local music shoppe, and try a few out, see which one sounds best to you.

I would go for a Valvestate over the MG amps, but that's a personal preference.

That 100w MG should be more than enough for playing at school and even small clubs etc. I'm just advising that you shouldn't go with the first thing you see.

Amps, like guitars, are very tactile, you need to sit down and play with them to see if they will do what you want them to do, to sound the way you want them to sound. That way, you'll be happier with your kit, and not go on to spend a fortune on gear (I've made this mistake many, many times!).

Good luck!

cheers. suppose ur right. i have a tokai guitar and im looking for an amp that is suited for blazing solos :D . i just needed one before i go back to school and i only have like 150-200?.

Back