Amp suggestions please?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johny642000

Reaction score
I'm looking to get back into putting a band together after a long absence and currently only have a small practice amp for home use.

In my old playing days I got my sound from a Tech21 distortion pedal with a hint of delay plugged into a Marshall Valvestate. I was happy with this sound but I see that this range of amps is no longer available. I also play around with a Digitech RP1000 which I may or may not use in a band situation.

So, looking for a 50-100 watt combo, under ?400/$600 which takes pedals well. Looking for quality over never-to-be-used bells & whistles.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks, guys!

John.

do you mainly need clean tones or distortion tones?

Obviously it's your money so it's your call and your preference, but personally if I mainly need distortion I get an amp which is aimed at distortion, and put up with the cleans.

It's hard to beat the traynor ycv50b on thomann for the money it goes for- I've only tried the 40 watter, but they seem to be almost identical (from looking at the schematic, i mean) aside from the power tubes used, and the 50 has a far better speaker. EDIT: it's a little over ?400, but unless you're already struggling to reach the ?400 limit, I'm not sure it makes much sense to get something slightly cheaper which is far worse. If you really can't stretch, thomann seems to be getting the jet city stuff back into stock, so that'd be worth looking at- the 50 watt 1x12 combo is supposedly the combo version of the 50 watt head (which i own). It's got a ton of gain and not much in the way of cleans (but would still be worth considering if distortion is what you want). the 2x12 combo (which i haven't tried) supposedly has less gain and more in the way of cleans and is still under budget.

probably pick up an overdrive pedal as well unless you already have one. thomann does the rebranded joyo vintage overdrive (harley benton) for like 29 euro, it's a tubescreamer clone, again hard to go wrong for the money.

why spend so much money on guitars and run them thru tech21 digi-crap and solid state amps?

If you are serious about gigging, get a serious amp, lol.

Thanks for the reply, Dave - I'll check out Traynor, I hadn't been aware of them before.

Open to all amp suggestions valve or otherwise...

Cheers,

John.

Tech21 distortion is completely analog like the majority of distortion pedals. If people are serious about giving advice, get some serious facts lol.

Sorry for my loose comments.
I use Rivera Amps. My main amp is a R-30, they are relatively cheap to come by used, if you ever find one. Similar amps are the R-55, Clubster / Chubster 40, Fandango, more features with higher wattage.

I also have a Fandango 55-112. This beast can make a grown man cry. But it is too big and loud for most of my gigs, it's in the rehersal room.

It?s easy to pile a lot of gain into a preamp, but very difficult to take that and make it stable and dynamically responsive. Very few amp designers do this trick as well as Paul Rivera.-Guitarist Magazine-Nick Guppy

This sums it up to me.

Besides using 68 Plexi's, Fender Bassman's and Traynor Plexis for many years, I have some Tech 21 products im my arsenal and are fantastic to my ear. I know amps make a difference, however when you master your playing you will notice that you sound the same in every amp you plug into.

Phantom

Back