New amp

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max The Dog

Reaction score
Just got this, English Valve Amps SHG 5w. The chap I got it from put Marshall badges on it but gave me the EVA one also. The only problem is he forgot the lead to connect the amp to the cab so I have'nt fired it up yet. waiting expectantly for the postman.

BacchusBST54VandEVASHG5wAmp001.jpg

BacchusBST54VandEVASHG5wAmp009.jpg

BacchusBST54VandEVASHG5wAmp002.jpg

Looks very nice Pete, you've been trying out several small amps lately hope this is the one.

Thanks Jacco, I think this is the one as I have run out of money now!!
(unless anyone has a Cornell Romany to trade)
EZ Yes its a 5w amp which can run EL84's or 6V6's and the cab has 2x12
Tayden True Brit speakers.
Pete.

Can't you use any old instrument lead with 6.5mm jack plugs on it?

Amp looks great BTW, and I like the idea of being able to use more than one tube.

Yes instrument cable is ok i have been told as long as the amp is not cranked up too much.(risk of fire) I am still waiting for UPS to arrive with the correct
one.

Max The Dog said:
Yes instrument cable is ok i have been told as long as the amp is not cranked up too much.(risk of fire) I am still waiting for UPS to arrive with the correct
one.

No no, screw that, burn your new amp to the ground! Wait for the right cable I think. Difficult as that may be... :)

I'd be interested to know what is different about the speaker lead that you get, compared to an instrument cable. Admittedly I've always used chunky figure 8 cable to connect speakers and not in any high power applications either, maybe only 20 or 30 watts solid state. Valve output stages are different because the speaker and the output transformer have to be matched together reasonably closely. The wrong cable could cause inductance problems that stuffs up the matching. Also this is a Class A amp isn't it - the output valve runs at full tilt all the time so I expect it's more important to keep it stable.

The wire in instrument cable is not meant to carry the amount of current given out by an amplifier. This can result in the cable burning out like a fuse. Especially the braided shield wire.

jawilluk said:
The wire in instrument cable is not meant to carry the amount of current given out by an amplifier. This can result in the cable burning out like a fuse. Especially the braided shield wire.

Yes, except that when a fuse burns out, it cuts off the current. And, this will too but.. YOWZA.. that's hard on the amp's OT.

Yes Mick51 and if the insulation in the cable melts then the output transformer can short out. Definitely use a proper speaker lead.

Back