cts pots and Korean Tokai Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesblues

Reaction score
I was thinking about upgrading the electrics in my Korean Love Rock with CTS pots, switchcraft toggle switch and Jack socket. The online store I asked advice from has advised that Tokais were built with Alpha pots or the equivalent if the guitar was made before 1993. Therefore the holes for the pots will be too small for CTS pots. He said this was one of the reasons Gibson was ok with manufacturers like Tokai copying the Gibson models as it would be difficult to get them up to Gibson standard.

I have no reason to doubt the chap, but I always thought that Tokai went to lengths to create an exact copy. Or does that only apply to the high end Japanese models?

Anyway it's a bit of a bummer, unless I feel courageous enough to take a drill to my guitar. Anyone ever done this? How difficult is it? :cry:

Cheers

Les

it's easy enough to enlarge the holes, just get a drill bit to suit the cts pots, but why bother? just get new alpha pots if yours are knackered, that way you keep the guitar original. i doubt you would notice any difference between cts and alphas, they're only variable resistors.
if you are trying to improve your tone, either a) change the pickups, b) change the capacitors, or c) buy a boss gt 10.

Les, I've opened the holes up in the past to fit CTS pots but I'd advise sticking with alpha pots. CTS pots are quite stiff and the alpha pots much smoother. You won't get any difference in tone from using CTS. If you must fit CTS pts it's easier to open them up using a bit of sandpaper in a slotted piece of dowel wood. That way you won't risk damaging the surface of your guitar. But again (as I was told once but took no notice) I'd advise sticking with alpha.

Dave

jonah65 said:
if you are trying to improve your tone, buy a boss gt 10.

I think you meant a KPA, Kemper Profiling Amp, not a Boss GT10. :)

Chaps,

thanks for the replies. I take on board what you say. I made the assumption that CTS pots must be an improvement on Alphas based on the price difference.

Jonah, I have swapped out the pickups, that is what prompted me to "upgrade" the rest of the electrics.

Dave, thanks for sharing your experience of the different pots. That has helped me make up my mind. I'll stick to Alphas which will also save some cash, which to a Scotsman is an important point. :)

Lesblues said:
He said this was one of the reasons Gibson was ok with manufacturers like Tokai copying the Gibson models as it would be difficult to get them up to Gibson standard.

Ah, music store employees! Second only to PC world tech support staff :lol:

I installed vintage wiring, switchcraft, and CTS pots in my MIK Loverock. There is a trick to enlargening the holes to fit CTS. Either use sand paper as mentioned, which takes awhile, or operate the proper size drill bit with moderate pressure IN REVERSE until you get through. This prevents the bit from catching on the finish and chipping out an unsightly piece on the front of your guitar. Alpha pots work well too without modifications.

This is what Tom Anderson says, he knows a bit about guitar building.
His guitars are the best guitars I've ever seen.

"I gave up on cts years ago. From the time they moved production to Mexico in the early 80's, they got worse and worse at quality control. They could not control end resistance or rotational torque or feel.
I have tried a few of the new bourns metal casing pots, and was not knocked out by their feel enough to dig deeper.
Alpha does a great job at feel and end resistance so we use them. I know some like a stiffer feel, but I prefer the smoother feel."

So, there we go. :D

Lesblues said:
He said this was one of the reasons Gibson was ok with manufacturers like Tokai copying the Gibson models as it would be difficult to get them up to Gibson standard.

I have no reason to doubt the chap, but I always thought that Tokai went to lengths to create an exact copy. Or does that only apply to the high end Japanese models?

Les

lol, this is funny stuff...the day Tokais are made up to Gibson standards is the day we all stop buying Tokais. :D

The "entry level" Tokai LS92 is as good a Les Paul as anything Gibson USA makes.

Diamond said:
This is what Tom Anderson says, he knows a bit about guitar building.
His guitars are the best guitars I've ever seen.

"I gave up on cts years ago. From the time they moved production to Mexico in the early 80's, they got worse and worse at quality control. They could not control end resistance or rotational torque or feel.
I have tried a few of the new bourns metal casing pots, and was not knocked out by their feel enough to dig deeper.
Alpha does a great job at feel and end resistance so we use them. I know some like a stiffer feel, but I prefer the smoother feel."

So, there we go. :D

That is pretty definitive! Thanks, it concurs with what DaveWW said earlier too.

Back