Faber pickups vs Mark 2's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnA said:
Lesblues said:
JohnA said:
If MK II's ARE potted, which I actually have doubts, they must be potted before the covers are installed, I've removed the covers from some of mine with no trouble at all, just use a Stanley knife to carefully cut through the solder, and prise them off with your fingers.

Presumably I would either have to solder the chrome replacements on, or I could leave the mark ii's uncovered? Do I do something to the screwheads on top of the pickups?

Yes, you would need to solder the new covers on, it's an easy job though, don't let that put you off. The screwheads just poke through the holes in the cover, you don't need to do anything with them.

Ok, thanks, if I go for it I may come back to you for ongoing advice, if that's ok.

Lesblues said:
JohnA said:
Lesblues said:
JohnA said:
If MK II's ARE potted, which I actually have doubts, they must be potted before the covers are installed, I've removed the covers from some of mine with no trouble at all, just use a Stanley knife to carefully cut through the solder, and prise them off with your fingers.

Presumably I would either have to solder the chrome replacements on, or I could leave the mark ii's uncovered? Do I do something to the screwheads on top of the pickups?

Yes, you would need to solder the new covers on, it's an easy job though, don't let that put you off. The screwheads just poke through the holes in the cover, you don't need to do anything with them.

Ok, thanks, if I go for it I may come back to you for ongoing advice, if that's ok.

No probs! :)

JohnA said:

I have new, spare set of MKII's (covered) and there is wax all over the base plates.... I'd never heard any questions as to whether they were waxed or not.... Always heard and thought they were.

marcusnieman said:
JohnA said:

I have new, spare set of MKII's (covered) and there is wax all over the base plates.... I'd never heard any questions as to whether they were waxed or not.... Always heard and thought they were.

Ah. Oh well, I didn't win the auction anyway, so looks like Toneriders for me. Amazon UK are selling them for a very good price just now.

marcusnieman said:
JohnA said:

I'm sure there was a discussion somewhere about this, I have a couple of sets at home I'll take a closer look.

Here's an easy solution if you don't like the gold - have a go at the covers with wire wool. That's what I did to my Alnico IV in gold, which I bought when nickel was out of stock. The 'gold' covering is very thin indeed. The end result looks like the kind of dulled, 'antiqued' finish you get on things like SD Antiquities - I really like it personally, much easier than faffing about changing covers too!

Le Chat Noir said:
Here's an easy solution if you don't like the gold - have a go at the covers with wire wool. That's what I did to my Alnico IV in gold, which I bought when nickel was out of stock. The 'gold' covering is very thin indeed. The end result looks like the kind of dulled, 'antiqued' finish you get on things like SD Antiquities - I really like it personally, much easier than faffing about changing covers too!

Actually, that's a good idea. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back