LCD monitors and noise

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Havent heard anything about LCD monitors and their affect on pickups, try checking on the forums one of the software sites, like www.cubase.net.

I find that if you turn yourself and guitar to 90 degrees to the CRT Monitor (i.e. Headstock/Strap Button facing the monitor), it drastically reduces any hum, as opposed to sitting with the pickups facing the monitor (and even with your back to it!).

If you have a POD or other such electrickery jiggery pokery, use the Noise Gate function to cancel any hum your pups pick up (About 60-75% should do it and still get a decent signal).

Just got a new tft 17" monitor and I intend to start using the pc for recording soon so will let you know.
Joe

Barry, you just have to set the noise gate up quite high so that it only lets the bits you want through, this shouldn't affect your tone too much, if at all, and is a trick used in pro studio's all the time for amps and drums.

If at all possible record in another room (of course we all have an Engineer handy whenever we want to get that guitar track down for THE song that'll set you up for life), but in the real world, the noise gate and the compressor are your bestest buddies when recording (and its better to have them built into your modeller/FX Unit as you save on processor overhead that way than whacking them on as plug ins later).

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is interested....

From the Guitar Rig manual:

Guitar pickups are very susceptible to hum, light dimmer ?hash,? and the
interference generated by computers and monitors. LCD monitors create
less interference than CRT types, and humbuckers are less likely to pick
up interference than single coil pickups. Piezo pickups, like those used
in the Line 6 Variax, do not pick up this interference.
As you play with GUITAR RIG, always position your guitar so it picks up
the least amount of interference. GUITAR RIG?s Noise Gate can help get
rid of some interference, but it is not a substitute for orienting your guitar
away from sources of interference.

Back