Changing tuners

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Butler

Reaction score
Hi everybody

On saturday I'm going to the guitar store to pick up my Tokai LS-150F (UK model, stupid headstock, solid flame maple top....you all know the guitar. Wanted the LS-160 but they could't provide one).

Now....

I don't like those vintage tuners. No reason, just don't like them because they look fragile to me although I'm sure they work fine and the guitar won't have tuning issues.

What I want to know are there those metal tuners like Grover with kidney shaped buttons that are a direct replacement. I know that one screw hole will be visible but I don't mind that. I just dont want to drill or enlarge anything to put new tuners in.

Any info is welcomed even if you're telling me not to do it.

If you tell me how to post pictures, I'll post the picture of the actual guitar.

I did the same mod for the same reason. It's not a direct replacement, you will need to ream out the post holes. I think the difference is 10mm for the grover styles vs 8mm for the kluson styles.

I don't think so. All the modern Gibson USA models have had 10mm holes for many years - so the Grovers etc. are direct replacements. But the vintage style Tokai and the Gibson custom shop et al use are 8mm.

But check the specs of the tuners on Stewmac. Maybe something happens to drop right in.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but pretty sure that Gotoh has a direct copy of the Grover you're after that could be just dropped in without any mods. Unless you're set on having 'Grovers' in there, it might be a good option.

Keep us updated, whatever you do (if you don't mind). These questions come up every once in a while and it's always good to see how people make out for future reference.

Jason

Big Willie Style said:
I'm not 100% sure of this, but pretty sure that Gotoh has a direct copy of the Grover you're after that could be just dropped in without any mods. Unless you're set on having 'Grovers' in there, it might be a good option.

Unless they have new models out since I last looked (which was a while ago) all their Grover-a-likes are 10mm too. I used to have a set, they were great tuners.

Bought the guitar and I think the stock tuners will stay for now. Look and feel solid enough.

The guitar is awesome!! Only wish the frets are larger.

How do I post pictures?

Back