'82 LS50 or 60?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vas

Reaction score
I've been reading the registry and forums for a while now, great resource!

I have an '82 Love Rock serial 2011038

There is no model number in the pup cavity and no sticker. I'm pretty sure it's a 50 or 60 but not sure which

14 degree headstock
No fret binding
Solid 2 piece plain top centre seam
2 piece (might be 3) back
No sticker on the underside of pickup just GOTOH stamped in the plate
Uncovered zebras
Aluminium STP

front.jpg

top_join.jpg

What differs between 50s and 60s

V

Thanks for the info.
I wasn't sure about the tops as I've seen posts about LS50s with 2 piece tops before, unless of course they are from the '84 '85 period where it can get confusing.
I'll go with LS60 :)

Yes - mine is an LS50 from the 84-84 period and it's a two piece top and one piece back.
In fact I'm not totally convinced mine isn't a LS60 as the maple has some really nice flame figuring when it catches the light.
The sticker is long gone and was not there when I bought it 21 years ago.
It can get confusing!

nice guitar.

barks

Barks67 said:
Yes - mine is an LS50 from the 84-84 period and it's a two piece top and one piece back.

nice guitar.

barks

Are you sure? A one piece back is normally a feature of a LS80 or higher

JohnA said:
Barks67 said:

nice guitar.

barks

Are you sure? A one piece back is normally a feature of a LS80 or higher

Seems so.

When I brought it up on this thread http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18135&highlight= the consensus was it was a LS50 as the lacquer was poly.
It was acknowledged though that there were cases from this 1984-85 period of LS50 -60 with one piece backs.

Barks

Thanks - it seems this is one of the elusive ones designed to put a spanner in the works for the model number specs etc!
Its at the luthier at the moment having its first bit of maintenance in ages - new nut and dress - so looking forward to it coming back.

barks

I have seen a couple LS-50 and LS-60 with one piece back. There are some out there. Sometimes they may be multi-piece but it's hrd to find the seam. That happens too :)

Hi guys,

I'll go with LS-60.
The 2 piece top and open zebra pups points to an LS-60.
1982 LS-50's had 3 piece tops and double cream pickups.
All the LS series from LS-50 - LS-75 were finished in poly so that is no indicator.

Latest posts

Back