Strat numbering since February 1, 1982 and x=y

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never thought to do a search on that thread... I`d forgoten about what was sent to me in that e-mail. Good work.

This is good stuff. Daizo see if you can get the editors to join the forum!!!

Ian, actually was getting into the Spain conversation you and Luis were having. I just finished reading Iberia by Mitchner. Maybe we should start a thread in Off Topic on great places to shop for guitars in different countries/states/provinces.

Ned ... unfortunately everywhere in UK is vastly overpriced compared to US, eg some interesting shops in central London (Denmark St. is famous for it) but best just to look & try (keep your $ firmly in your wallet) :( . There?s an interesting repair/luthier shop near me in Kingston (that's south-west London ? easily the nicest part of London for anyone visiting (forget the major tourist trail of West End) but apart from doing a good setup etc. the shop is also stacked with old Gibson/Fender/Guild guitars plus dozens of ancient Marshall, Vox, Orange. Hi-watt amps etc :-? .

Ian.

Just received a response from the business development department of
Tokai Guitar. They sound a bit reserved saying "there are not many
people remaining familiar with old models."

I need to explain why I would like to visit their factory :)

Will see ...

you might point out to them that your studies are to benifit the people who have supported them throughout. The fact of the matter is, if tokai could "get into" the american market in a big way they would prosper as they have always desired. The information you posses of this focus group is as important to them as the dating and numbering is to us. I still wonder as voiced in my silverstar thread if some of these markings are from outsource parts. Another thing when it comes to numbering- in manufacture it is much more normal to use week#s instead of month- unless you have very limited production-or no quality control.

You might point out to them that continental europe is totally abandoned by the big brands like Gibson (they send us their most crappy guitars) and that most european kids are very frustrated and there is a big market to eat. :D

ned said:
Daizo see if you can get the editors to join the forum!!!

If Tokai agrees to my site visit, I will invite these guys to go to Hamamatsu and recommend them to join the forum, too.

Above marketing opportunity scripts are quite helpful. Thank you very much. I have been watching LS130SEB offered in the auction, but it has never been sold, which implies their newer products are not that sold well in Japan. More open-minded overseas markets could be a key to help Tokai's operation. Having looked at their poor website, I think they may be over-relying on their quality, less on the marketing - good as a case study material for biz schools :):)

I think you`re correct about their newer stuff. For whatever reason most players I see here in Japan want US made guitars and are willing to pay a lot of dough for em. I watch the on line auctions in Japan as well and many older MIJs are getting their just dues...not only Tokai but others too...theres an old LS-50 going for 100,000 yen right now on a used site here... thats more than double the original selling price if you take into account the standard 20% off shops give here. I love my Duncans, my Van Zandt, CREWS, Bacchus, my old Japanese Fenders, Grecos and of course Tokais among others.

I think it's a mix between keeping a good quality level in the production and taking th temperature of the guitar market. (Like for example: in france and belgium, everybody wants guitars with p-90 these days! It's absolutely amazing!) And Tokai is starting to have a good reputation!

Sorry I don't have one at present for Tokai guitars. I need a compelling drive from behind for me to start translating. :D Perhaps, if I can visit Tokai factory, then I will write a report in English, which would be the trigger event.

Back