Tokai LR with fastest neck?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ojgibbins

Reaction score
Hi

I am waiting for info on the Tokai LP Studio copy coming out soon according to JSD...

But does anyone know which Love Rock model has the fastest neck? Is there a "metal" love rock?

Thanks!

Owen

20 century boy said:
the neck is supposed to be fast ? I thought it was the hand :-?

So you could shred on a jumbo acoustic as fast as a strat with scalloped fret board?

:eek:

ojgibbins said:
But does anyone know which Love Rock model has the fastest neck?

Buy a love rock and jump out of a plane with it. When you reach terminal velocity, that's as fast as you can get. :lol:

I really despise the phrase 'fast neck'. It's utterly nonsensical and totally meaningless. A good classical/flamenco player *would* be just as fast on a jumbo as a pencil-neck Ibanez or similar. Personally, I'm faster on big chunky necks with glossy backs, heavy strings and high action because that's what I'm used to.

FWIW, most love rocks use the 50's carve which is fairly hand-filling. There are very few slim-taper 60's necks out there.

I am a Tokai necks lover,they suit my hand wonderfully :wink: .I would rate them as thick/medium( new cathegory:lol: ),very comfortable.They are slimmer than Gibson 50's and more rounded but thickers than Orville by Gibsons and Burnys and Greco I had for comparision.I am totally satisfied with them 8) but it is up to you and your preferences like Lee says.

>> Personally, I'm faster on big chunky necks with glossy backs, heavy >> strings and high action because that's what I'm used to.

I'll jump in here. I do not think "Fast neck" is a "nonsensical and totally meaningless" phrase. I, like you prefer a chunky neck like on my Diodati '59, but I can play noticeably faster on my PRS CE24 with the wide-thin neck. That is, given the same guitar lick, such as a 3-note per string scale up the neck, I play it faster on the PRS, and it's because of the fast neck it has. I attribute this to a bunch of things including, neck width, neck radius, string action, string tension and fret height. I don't like the feel as much on the PRS, but I can definitely play faster. It's just easier to fret the darn thing and move around. That's what it means to be a fast neck -- it's just easier to play. It's actually a matter of physics -- if your hand doesn't have to work as hard to fret, it's easier to play and then you can play faster.

As far as being a matter of what you're used to, whenever I switch to the PRS, I have to recalibrate my playing because the lower action makes me miss notes when I try to bend. I grab to high on the string and it slips out. After 15 minutes or so, I'm pretty much up to speed.

Just my two cents...

I am not real keen about that "fastest neck" term either. It is really what is right for you. But I will say that the fret height, fretboard radius and neck shape on my circa 85-86 "original" Tokais are absolutely perfect for me!!! These guitars play effortlessly and bends are heaven. My Goldstar strat is basically the fender radius and smaller frets and plays average. I cant really comment on the Love Rocks but if they are similar to the mid 80's Talbos, mats etc then they would be great for ME.
Hope yours plays great.

Back