Are any of these good deals?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuattroSte

Reaction score
I know the bids on these will go up but is there any "Do not touch" guitars here?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7318204538&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33039&item=7318291059&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7317996278&rd=1

Thanks.
S

The first one is probably the most sought after of the 3 but I can't see anything wrong with any of them.

Ned

I'd be real leary about any Goldstar sound unless the body marking and the neck but markings were clearly pictured- all the old Goldstars have a equals sign not a dash for example:

Ser#L15161

Neck butt 10=1

Neck picku cav 10=1

Control cav 10=1 GS

If the neck butt and control cav don't match then most probably it has mixed parts

Remember that the numbers should read 10=1 > not 10-1

Thanks ian/ochay,

I am thinking about the second one. It seems to be in the best condition and I have asked the seller for the serial numbers. The last one looks odd to me and it only has 1 vol and 1 tone which seems strange?? :eek:

This buying a guitar gets addictive! I only bought an ES100 new in Feb, discovered this site and now I spend a lot of my day checking out possible buys :p

Hmm, I tend to agree with Ned.

If it were me I'd go for the first one with "plenty of dings & dongs" ...

I had a long chat with an old Japanese player collector/dealer (over far too many beers & glases of Saki) a few years ago, & he imparted some priceless words of wisdom he'd picked up over decades of buying & selling guitars. I'm sure he was speaking to me from a player's point of view as oppsed to that of a pure collector and you can take this with a (large) pinch of salt if you want, but this is roughly what he said: -

"Nothing is cast in stone, & of course there will be many exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking, a really nice 70's/80's guitar that sounds great & feels comfortable to play will be beaten-up looking - why? - because people can't put it down, & over 20 - 25 years it gets well-used.

A "brand new" showroom-condition guitar that's 20-odd yers old probably looks like that as it's a dog to play &/or sounds like crap, & no-one wants to play it, so it never got played & still looks new. Avoid."

Make of this what you will, but after collecting over a dozen Tokais & even more other Japanese guitars - all from '78-'82 - with a couple of friends, and both following and ignoring his advice, the old Japanese guy's words have panned out to be completely true on every single occasion.

Well trust me to disagree with everyone lol :lol: ,...so just my opinion OK, but ...

...... second one looks OK (white one), as long as you don?t mind the more modern type altered headstock (pointy) ? doub?t if it?s 1985 (probably more like 95 ? 2005)....I wouldn't buy it, but you might like it. Ask him what model it is (cheap one, or expensive one?).

Don?t fancy the other two. First one (black) has too many changes, too much damage, vol not working, & too much sales hype (lawsuit nonsense, again!) :cry: . Third one (Super Edition) is unusual guitar & I don?t know enough about those to be safe buying one ? two controls a bit odd, tuners are not old-style split post type. Again, seems sellers don?t know the model, and black paint covers up all sorts of stuff inc. id marks :cry: .

I think you can do much better than these. How about this one ?ie rare 1983 block logo in great colour, & looks all original & good condition etc?.looks good to me ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33039&item=7317282953&rd=1 8) .

Also consider importing from Japan, ie cost works out similar after all taxes etc. (I assume you?re in UK?). Eg, if you don?t mind 1970?s style Fender, then here?s a beautiful 1979 Sunburst Silverstar from very reliable Japanese seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7318600928&rd=1 8) .

Ian.

Thanks again Ian,

I'm bidding for the 1979 Sunburst Silverstar. What a beautiful guitar :p

This is the best I have seen. By the way I'm in Ireland so it's almost UK :wink:

Well that blue Goldstar is still at ?250 with no bids & only 4 hours left ?surprising because it?s a pretty desirable model, ie the blue self-coloured H-stock is becoming quite collectable/valuable & so is the Block logo which was only made for one year in 1983,?apart from which Goldstars are 50% more valuable than Silverstars anyway ... looks like someome will get a bargain,...but should say I have absolutely no connection with the sale so can?t say for sure if it plays/sounds well etc :-? .

Ian.

Aghhhh.....don't tell me you lost that for ?10!! That was an absolute "steal" at anything under ?350 :eek: . ?261 was a joke, can't believe he let it sell at that price :roll: .

Ian.

Dam :cry:

I'm an amateur at this and I went home from work with 25 mins left. When I got home I logged back in and it was gone for a tenner more!

Ah well, I'm still in on the Silver Strat which I think looks nicer. I don't mind the collectible bit too much as long as the guitar plays well.

Well to be fair that guy probably entered a bid way above ?261 (his actual bid wouldn?t show up until someone outbid him), so you probably wouldn?t have got it for ?261 anyway.

If you?re new to eBay bidding, note that most bidding usually take place in final few seconds. In fact many people use ?sniping? software to outbid others automatically in those last brief seconds ? only way around that is to enter your true maximum bid shortly before the auction ends (say 5 mins to go).

Good luck with the Silverstar (yep, agree it?s a fine looking guitar), but always more fish in the sea anyway :-? .

Ian.

Latest posts

Back