Question about Hard Puncher Dates

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulrichke

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I?m looking forward to buy a Hard Puncher, cause I?m searching for a Precision next to my Fender J-Bass and so I played one at a friend of mine...andwhat should I say...it was stunning. Absolutley great bass!

Now I two different on the Inet, but I don?t know how to date them cause they got no 10xxxx serial numbers but 0005933 and 0007910. I hope you guys could help me to date them?

cheers
ulrich

hi jacco

thanks for your reply.

pics of the 1st one:
http://s610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/aquamusix/?action=view&current=IMG_2400.jpg

the 2nd:
http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/livinfashion/Tokai%20Hard%20Puncher%2011%2005/

Both 1980 based on logo type.
1st is older for it has the model nimber impressed on the fretboard, can't read the number from these pics though, you can ask.

And what does model number 11xxxx mean? I thought 10xxxx will be from '81 but 11xxxx ?

Hi

The second one is a PB48. as Jacco says you can't read the number at the bottom of the fretboard on the first so we can't tell what model it is.

Dave

Hi Dave,
thanks for your reply. Can you tell me whats the difference between the the types? PB40, PB48, etc.?

Is there any Database somewhere? On TokaiReg I just found lots of infos on the guitars like dating the Les Pauls replicas etc. but nothing special about the basses. And now I?m hooked up after I played the Hard Puncher at a friend of mine. It sounded like his original Fender and was really smooth to play. I think he suggestet it was build somewhere between 81-84. But it has the same headstock as the first one I?ve posted. That made me think his one was an ?80 model, too???

Maybe you can help me date this one I found on ebay with serial 11xxxx ?
http://cgi.ebay.de/TOKAI-Hard-Punch...J-/110690241605?pt=Guitar&hash=item19c5a70c45

The first one (black) should be a PB50, I was told.

I'd guess that those two are both from 1980 as the fretboards are stamped with the model number and in the early ones (pre 82?) the serial number first digit probably indicates the year. (edited)

The 1984 sec's can be found here.............

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_08.html

...........but the spec's in 79/80 could have been a little higher as the model number was based on price so changed with inflation. However, the table in english below the pictures will give you a good general idea. There are many more guitar experts on here than bass experts but hopefully someone else might chime in the 1980 spec's etc.

Dave

Hi Ulrichke,

Nice Hard Punchers. The decal will give you an indication when the Hard Puncher is manufactured. The spaghetti-logo indicates that it's made in the late seventies or early eighties, that means until 1982. The scriptlogo indicates that is was made in 1984.
The sunburst Puncher has the spaghetti-logo, so.........
I couldn't find the headstock of the black one.
The serial-number on Hard Punchers until 1985 doesn't give any indication of when the bass has been made.

The late seventies or early eighties Hard Punchers seem to be more valuable nowadays.

Finally, the specs of a PB48 are a bit better then the PB40 etc. etc.
The differences are in the tuners, bridges, neck, pick-ups and available colors.

I own two Hard Punchers (late seventies or early eighties) myself and I think that they can compete with the early USA Fender Precisions. They really rock!

Cheers from The Netherlands,
Fred

I was fortunate to find one here for sale and I was looking for a bass since I have too many guitars already.
I picked it up yesterday, here is a picture:

It has "48" stamped on the fretboard and I believe it has a "01" serial.
Someone changed all the hardware to gold which actually looks ok but I need a gold string tree to complete it.

I just demo'd it in the store but it sounded fine and the neck had no problems.

I am sure you will like yours!

I wonder if the '01xxxxx' serial number also means that these were made at Matsumoto, just like the ink serial Tokai LPs..

jacco said:
I wonder if the '01xxxxx' serial number also means that these were made at Matsumoto, just like the ink serial Tokai LPs..

Just compare the routings to other Matsumoto made basses.

Ink serial LPs don't have different routing than the regular LPs. Do you expect these basses to have different routing?

You lost me Fredrik, but you're not the only one tonight I don't understand so it's probably me :D

Back