Older Les Paul Customs

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveDoG

Reaction score
I have a thing about Wine red and as such have been looking out for a Tokai in that finish. Have fate would have it I have come across one advertised in Aus I am interested in big time. However, before i start salivating and f generally coming over all unnecessary i want to check a couple of things out...

So first and most important question.. This particular guitar is said to be of a 1980 vintage and has an inked serial number rather than impressed. is that kosher?

The headstock has the cream binding with stripe and bares the logo Les Paul nothing else . The truss rod cover is Gibson style but in gold with no markings... It strikes me that could be a later addition though?

The tuners are Gibson style vintage in Ivory.

The pups are listed as... Goto PAF S stamped pickup, Rear 59B.. Again i suspect these might be later additions and there are no gold covers to them.

As I'm not au fait with the LC 60/100 & 110 models i could do with a bit of help here. Should the finish be nitro ? Anything else to check for?

http://www.japanvintageguitars.com/Individual%20Tokai%20Custom.html

A link to some pics of the guitar I'm interested in.

1980 LC-60 would be poly, not lacquer. 14 degree headstock angle.
I can't see how the bridge is mounted - are there brass inserts into the top, or do the studs screw straight into the top?
The headstock doesn't look right to me, but I don't have a 1980 LC-60 to compare. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, so that's all I'll say.

No problems Mick... if people think it's iffy I want to know. The Logo is the big stumbling block for me. I really would like to find another LC that has this style of Logo. That said, this series of Tokais do seem to be a bit under the radar, as it were,

The body shape looks fine, it looks like it's been round the houses and played for a good few years however, I wil be holding fire on it till i hear a few more opinions on it.

Hey that's the first time I see a custom inkie!
You can't see it in the pics but this one will have a dowel tenon like on the early Greco's.
To me the shape of the headstock is a little off for a Tokai too but maybe that can be attributed to the fact it was not made in the Hamamatsu factory but the Matsumoto factory. But without a diamond this looks really strange, but looking at the 1981 catalog there shouldn't be one.

Hi Guys,

1980 LC-60's did not have any markings in the headstock. It was totally blank except for the Tokai logo. (Only year it happened)
The back of the headstock also had a volute. This feature was only used on the LC-60M - a maple capped 1970 LPC instead of the '57 all-mahogany LC-60.
It has been modified and for that reason the asking price seems a little steep to me.
regards
Peter Mac

Back