Post your Tokai bass pics, please!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zbigniew said:
Hi all, lovely photos you have here of your Tokai basses :D

This is just making me lust for a Jazz sound bass to compliment my Hard Puncher which you can see below:
Tokai_81_Hardpuncher.jpg

Here's a scan from an old ad which was included in an e-bay auction of an VSB 80 bass which identifies my bass as an VSB 60 ltd. ed.

vsb_80.jpg
Thanks for posting that -- I used to have one of those and I've always wondered about it as I've never seen another. Bought it new in 1985 or so, so it had the later script logo. Mine had a maple fingerboard like yours, single P-bass type split pickup, cherry sunburst flame maple cap. It was my first real instrument and was great (although I think I replaced the pickup with something active (maybe an EMG?) ... it was the 80s, what can you do?

Used to have a fretless Jazz sound too, the Jaco bass.

Both long gone though ... wonder where they are now.

Hi,
i recently sold my '82 jazz sound, because it was too heavy for me (4,4kgs), but i missed it quickly.
So i bought another from yahoo japan!
i just receipt it. It cost me only 305?, shipping included!
here are some pictures of my new bass:

JazzSound020.jpg

JazzSound021.jpg

JazzSound006.jpg

JazzSound015.jpg

JazzSound010.jpg

JazzSound001.jpg

JazzSound005.jpg

This is a late 1984, early 1985 Jazz Sound TJB-45 in metallic red.
At that time, they changed the catalog, and the TJB60 and higher models were stopped. I think that they used last parts (pickups, pots, bone nut and reverse tuners) to build a few basses like this one and FENDER32's Black Jazz Sound! Finally, i'm lucky! I have got a lowend model with higher species like a TJB60-80, minus the copper plates under pots-pickups and the body. Mine has a 4 pieces alder body, but i don't care about it: it's lightweight (3.6-3.7kgs) and pretty resonant!
The neck is slightly flatter and wider than my old '82 TJB-60 (still 1 1/2'' at the nut), but that's a good thing for me, because i usually prefer PB neck shape.
I changed the pickups for a set of Aero jazz style 1 wich have a more open and clear sound, and put some backelite Fender Knobs.

My only complaint is that this bass came from factory whithout pickguard. a kind of strange Jaco style!

cheers,
David

SpringySound said:
Thanks for posting that -- I used to have one of those and I've always wondered about it as I've never seen another. Bought it new in 1985 or so, so it had the later script logo. Mine had a maple fingerboard like yours, single P-bass type split pickup, cherry sunburst flame maple cap. It was my first real instrument and was great (although I think I replaced the pickup with something active (maybe an EMG?) ... it was the 80s, what can you do?

Used to have a fretless Jazz sound too, the Jaco bass.

Both long gone though ... wonder where they are now.

Thank you, I like my bass a lot.
It has a rather fat neck, I don't know after what Fender-P bass it is modelled.
The bass also is light and plays well, apart from the edge of the body digging into my right forearm. I don't know if it has the typical P-bass sound or some variation of it, can you remember how you would describe the stock pickup sound? A local bass player described it as 70's P-bass sound, I don't know if that is accurate. Were 70's P-basses much different than 60's basses soundwise?

z

doudoubass said:
Hi,
i recently sold my '82 jazz sound, because it was too heavy for me (4,4kgs), but i missed it quickly.

JazzSound020.jpg

At that time, they changed the catalog, and the TJB60 and higher models were stopped. I think that they used last parts (pickups, pots, bone nut and reverse tuners) to build a few basses like this one and FENDER32's Black Jazz Sound! Finally, i'm lucky! I have got a lowend model with higher species like a TJB60-80, minus the copper plates under pots-pickups and the body. Mine has a 4 pieces alder body, but i don't care about it: it's lightweight (3.6-3.7kgs) and pretty resonant!
The neck is slightly flatter and wider than my old '82 TJB-60 (still 1 1/2'' at the nut), but that's a good thing for me, because i usually prefer PB neck shape.
I changed the pickups for a set of Aero jazz style 1 wich have a more open and clear sound, and put some backelite Fender Knobs.

My only complaint is that this bass came from factory whithout pickguard. a kind of strange Jaco style!

cheers,
David

What a great looking Jazzsound ! Are you still happy with it?

z

doudoubass said:
Hi,

JazzSound020.jpg

JazzSound021.jpg

JazzSound006.jpg

JazzSound015.jpg

JazzSound010.jpg

JazzSound001.jpg

JazzSound005.jpg

cheers,
David

Can be that it is a Jazzsound neck on a Limited Edition body.
The Candy red Limited Edition JB are very common.

I had the bridge in a glass of coke for one night, works great. I removed and cleaned the pickups, put them back on and checked the electronics, polished the body and neck, added new strings and made some adjustments to the bridge for my perfect setup.......and there it is, a brandnew old Tokai Hardpuncher. :p

zbigniew said:
@Koubayashi: Great looking bass! How is the neck profile?

z

The neck has a fat C-profile like a late 50's PB.
very non-Japanese in my opinion.

I got a brother to the black one.
Mine has matching headstock though.

Is yours light as well?

P1080869.jpg

Latest posts

Back